Are stuards welcome here??

Ok so I'm out of local 690. My ups hub recently got a new full time. Him and I are going round for round on a question of senority. As I read the contract to me it states that seniority holds precident over everything, and it will be followed to the letter. No matter what. My debate with him is with the Part time sup who runs small sort. This little :censored2: rocket says that senority does not matter. That the people in small sort used their senority to get into small sort, and he can do with them what he wants. Now atleast in my hub, the shortest serving employee in s/s used to be me, and I've been with ups 5 years. The average time before me to even get a chance to go to small sort was 5 years, but most around 7 years. That however has changed in the last year. Somehow, we are now hiring employees and putting them straight into s/s. Which i call bs on. And almost daily they send us another newbie to train. I have told mgmt that my interpretation of the contract states that senority is senority no matter what.
If anyone has a different opinion please share it. I can find zero ambiguity in the contract. I believe im fighting for the union members. But again, if I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
So I'm a stuard. I was just wondering if I was welcome here??
Only if you learn how to spell the word.
Yeah my bad. Stuard..better
giphy.gif

DriverNerd

There is a lot of ambiguity in the contract, but besides that you need to learn the term "past practice". You will find that will trump most things in the contract.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Does your contract have any language for part timers about "preferred jobs"?

For local 710 (my local), we have the ability to bid on preferred jobs, (small sort, unload, preload, sort aisle, etc...), but not on the specific pulls or locations within that job.

What specific rider or supplement are you under in 690?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Looks like the Western Region supplement.
That being the case, looks like pretty much the exact same language.

Article 6, Section 4 of the Western:
Seniority part-time employees may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs on any shift in the same building in all months except December including preferred jobs on their own or another shift. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to, parttime jobs such as; preload, sorter, clerical, irregular train, hazmat first responder, carwasher, loader and unloader.

Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or work station unless specifically provided in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum or an established practice thereunder

UPSER1987

I never understood the concept of having representation that is less educated and less articulate than you are. This thread is a perfect example.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I never understood the concept of having representation that is less educated and less articulate than you are. This thread is a perfect example.

You don't understand that smart people generally eschew extra headache and responsibility that come with no benefits? Sounds like you should be a steward.

Superteeth2478

I can kind of understand what you're saying, but at the same time specialized knowledge minus general education and the quality of being articulate trumps lack of specialized knowledge plus general education and the quality of being articulate. Of course, specialized knowledge plus general education and the quality of being articulate will trump both...just usually can't have both of those things considering the demographics of the people who work at UPS.

UPSER1987

I can kind of understand what you're saying, but at the same time specialized knowledge minus general education and the quality of being articulate trumps lack of specialized knowledge plus general education and the quality of being articulate. Of course, specialized knowledge plus general education and the quality of being articulate will trump both...just usually can't have both of those things considering the demographics of the people who work at UPS.
I agree with you regarding the disadvantaged educational demographics of UPS employees, but the OP literally can’t spell the job position he/she holds! Lol