Are supervisors allowed to move you to a different PD/Working Area? If so does seniority prevail?

I filed a grievance against the new supervisor for sorting and handling packages about 1 month ago. And now she says she wants to move me to another pd because I have a low pph. However I checked the chart and my pph is about the same as everyone on the PD. (Within 10-5 of everyone else).

So I told her my PPH is the same as everyone else and she said she still wants to move me because I will be better suited for another PD.

Is she allowed to move me to another PD? I don't want to move. I want to stay in this PD. If I have more seniority, do they move the person who has less seniority before me?

km3

And now she says she wants to move me to another pd because I have a low pph. However I checked the chart and my pph is about the same as everyone on the PD. (Within 10-5 of everyone else).

So I told her my PPH is the same as everyone else and she said she still wants to move me because I will be better suited for another PD.

Sounds like harassment to me...if, in fact, your numbers are basically the same as those around you.

I doubt you'd win a grievance claiming seniority. Call your union hall and try to get in touch with your business agent, and ask him/her. The issue of seniority should be easy, as in, it should prevail in all cases. Sadly things don't always work out the way they "should."

Unless she's the FT supervisor, how would she know if you're better-suited for another area, under a different supervisor anyway?

542thruNthru

I filed a grievance against the new supervisor for sorting and handling packages about 1 month ago. And now she says she wants to move me to another pd because I have a low pph. However I checked the chart and my pph is about the same as everyone on the PD. (Within 10-5 of everyone else).

Is she allowed to move me to another PD? I don't want to move. I want to stay in this PD. If I have more seniority, do they move the person who has less seniority before me?

I don't know what a PD is. Though I believe if it is not a preferred position like pick-off than you can be moved. Technically if it's the same position she is moving you to she isn't violating your seniority. You're still being paid the same and starting the same time.

I agree you should file harassment though it might not help any.

This is all based off my area. Your local might see it differently so call your BA and find out for sure.

1000RR

Here in the central they must move the most junior person on the dock/pd. Check with a shop steward to see how it is in your area

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While the move does appear to be retaliatory, you have little recourse as there are no non-skilled bid inside positions. In other words, unless you are working a skilled position, they can put you wherever they want.

dudebro

I love these guys. In their world, mgmt would stand there and not have the right to even speak to anyone. The only mistake she made was giving a load PPH excuse, instead of simply saying, that's my decision, that's why.

The other thing is, if you're going to call it "retaliation", you have to prove that picking up packages and putting them down on PD3, is materially different than doing the exact same thing on PD4.

km3

The other thing is, if you're going to call it "retaliation", you have to prove that picking up packages and putting them down on PD3, is materially different than doing the exact same thing on PD4.

But that argument goes both ways; if the sup thinks she'd be a better fit somewhere else, the two areas must be different, otherwise it doesn't make sense to give that as a reason. If the sup gives PPH as a reason, and her PPH is basically the same as everyone else's, then that's blatant harassment. Especially since she said her PPH is "low."

Doesn't matter, anyway. If the sup in question isn't full time, she can't move her.

km3

I love these guys. In their world, mgmt would stand there and not have the right to even speak to anyone.

I just don't want supervisors to perform hourly work, especially (and I mean especially) when employees they had are sent to another area, or even worse, sent home, 5 minutes after start time.

dudebro

I don't know what better fit means in this case either. Someone is either a good loader or not.
Where did you get the idea that a PT supervisor can't move employees? I did it ALL the time. If I had too many people on PD2, and the PT sup on PD3 needed help, I lent PD3 a loader. If we didn't do that, the FT sup would have crawled up our ass for not adjusting.

dudebro

I just don't want supervisors to perform hourly work, especially (and I mean especially) when employees they had are sent to another area, or even worse, sent home, 5 minutes after start time.
I agree with you 100% on this. If the PT sup is sending a loader to another area, so they can perform bargaining unit work in their place, this is a clear contract violation.

km3

I don't know what better fit means in this case either. Someone is either a good loader or not.
Where did you get the idea that a PT supervisor can't move employees? I did it ALL the time. If I had too many people on PD2, and the PT sup on PD3 needed help, I lent PD3 a loader. If we didn't do that, the FT sup would have crawled up our ass for not adjusting.

But what you're talking about is moving them for a night, adjusting for a need for help in another area, not on a permanent basis. Of course they can do that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lending and a permanent move are not one in the same.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I love these guys. In their world, mgmt would stand there and not have the right to even speak to anyone. The only mistake she made was giving a load PPH excuse, instead of simply saying, that's my decision, that's why.

They can speak to who they want to, but what they can't do is cry because a member is exercising their right under the collective bargaining agreement to file a grivance of a supervisor handling packages. The job of a supervisor is to supervise, not load, unload, or run missorts . It's in the job title

dudebro

I wasn't thinking the move was permanent, but you could read the OP that way. You're right on that - the PT sup won't be the decision maker there.

dudebro

They can speak to who they want to, but what they can't do is cry because a member is exercising their right under the collective bargaining agreement to file a grivance of a supervisor handling packages. The job of a supervisor is to supervise, not load, unload, or run missorts . It's in the job title

100% correct on performing bargaining unit work. No disagreement there. But what I've seen in various operations is PT employees trying to establish a precedent that they can't be moved from one area to another (in the same classification) by the supervisors, which is a core function of management.

km3

100% correct on performing bargaining unit work. No disagreement there. But what I've seen in various operations is PT employees trying to establish a precedent that they can't be moved from one area to another (in the same classification) by the supervisors, which is a core function of management.

I've tried that in the past. I've plead seniority and everything, and still got moved. I just go with it now. What I've discovered is that the less you complain about being sent somewhere else, the less they send you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

We have to work as directed, that seems to be the hardest thing for newer employees to understand.