Are supervisors allowed to question option days?

deemoni

You had me at "Hello World!"
I had to take an option day today because I don't have any way of getting there (I currently am unable to drive). He proceeded to ask me why I couldn't find anybody to drive me and I responded and he didn't respond back, so I don't know if he's just giving it to me or what? I know I gave him too much information by giving a reason for my option day, my union rep told me you can just take them off for whatever reason for whichever day. Anyone know about this?

I'm a part-time package handler, an unloader, for the twilight sort (I've been working there for over four years).

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
They are YOUR optional days as per the contract...they aren't management doing you a favor. All you need to do is request it in the appropriate time frame. They don't have a right to question why you need that day.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Short answer: if you don't otherwise have an attendance/tardiness problem, you don't have to worry (unless you really need the pay on next week's check).

There's usually some time frame you have to ask for the option day in advance. Some places 1 week, some 1 day, some 1 hour, etc. If you didn't ask for it in advance of whatever your contract's time window, the option day could be denied. In which case today could be listed as a code 15 -called in (usually have to call 1 hour b4 start), code 23-no call/no show (didn't call in early enough), or code 26-scheduled off, (I think option day is code 25). If they deny the opt. day, you would still have it to use later on in the year, or paid out at the end of the year.

If you do have an attendance/tardiness problem and the supe wants to write you up NC/NS; make sure you ask for your shop steward, refuse to sign the write up (and fix the attendance/tardiness problem, please!)

BrownSuit

As others said as long as the call was made within the specified time frame, the only information needed is that you are using an option day.

While the supervisor can ask out of curiosity or they may just be nosy, you do not have to give them the information as long as you are calling within the time frame. Not sure what the reason was that you are not able to drive, but it unfortunately could come up in the future if you apply for another position. Just stick to the request, no need to volunteer any information.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here in NE, you need to give one weeks notice before scheduling an optional holiday. The supervisor can deny or accept the holiday, but it must be within 24 hours of the request.

So no, you cannot ask for an optional holiday, the day before. That's only for this region, of course.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
When asked a question enact your Weingarten Rights to Representation.
If this discussion could in any way lead in my being disciplined or terminated, or effect my personal working conditions. I respectfully request that my union representative or steward be present at this meeting. Cite U.S. Supreme Court Decision 1975

Buck Fifty

Wrong You are replying to a single day vacation not optional day get your facts straight
I dont care what you want to call the day your trying to schedule.(fact) Dont ever schedule a day off with management. TAKE IT !!! CALL IN !!! This way it is fair for every brother and sister in the hub. You allow no favoritism or drug deals from management. This way everybody is responsible for their own attendance record. I challenge anybody to give me a good reason why a day should be scheduled 1 day, 1 week, 1 month in advance. CALL IN everyday you need or want off !!! (But i just want to do the right thing) .... If it aint the heat , its the stupidity!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I challenge anybody to give me a good reason why a day should be scheduled 1 day, 1 week, 1 month in advance. CALL IN everyday you need or want off !!! (But i just want to do the right thing) .... If it aint the heat , its the stupidity!!!

I always schedule my days off as far in advance as possible. This makes it easier for mgt to determine staffing needs and I get the days that I want. Calling in, especially when you know well in advance that you need/want a specific day, puts mgt in to an unnecessary bind.

This is not to say that if I am sick that I won't call in--as was said above, it's hard to schedule the flu.

Buck Fifty

I always schedule my days off as far in advance as possible. This makes it easier for mgt to determine staffing needs and I get the days that I want. Calling in, especially when you know well in advance that you need/want a specific day, puts mgt in to an unnecessary bind.

This is not to say that if I am sick that I won't call in--as was said above, it's hard to schedule the flu.

Unnecessary bind ???? what the..... looks like we have a special one here guys. Gets to pick all his (sick of work) days when he wants to. I sure hope everybody who works with ya , sees you sucking up to mgmt. and treats you accordingly. not the heat here !!! CALL IN !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unnecessary bind ???? what the..... looks like we have a special one here guys. Gets to pick all his (sick of work) days when he wants to. I sure hope everybody who works with ya , sees you sucking up to mgmt. and treats you accordingly. not the heat here !!! CALL IN !

My on-car keeps the calendar on his desk and whenever I want to schedule a day off we will sit down and look at the calendar to see if anyone else has already scheduled that day and, if not, he will put my name and whether I want to use a sick or personal day. I respect my on-car and will do all that I can to work with him, especially when I know well in advance that I need a particular day off. He in turn will work with me whenever possible. If there is a day that I have to have off and staffing is an issue I will call in.

My most recent day off was a Tuesday. I came in Monday morning and asked the on-car how the staffing looked for the next day. He said he had plenty of coverage and that I was all set. I happened to see the casual who would be covering my run that day while I was in the mall making a drop box pickup and gave him a "heads up". When I came in off road I told my on-car and center manager that I saw Mason in the mall and they both said I shouldn't have said anything to him and that they both knew he would call in sick the following morning, which he did. Thankfully it was a slow day and they had other casuals available.

I guess the ICU stands for Incredibly Clueless (and) Useless.

Buck Fifty

My on-car keeps the calendar on his desk and whenever I want to schedule a day off we will sit down and look at the calendar to see if anyone else has already scheduled that day and, if not, he will put my name and whether I want to use a sick or personal day. I respect my on-car and will do all that I can to work with him, especially when I know well in advance that I need a particular day off. He in turn will work with me whenever possible. If there is a day that I have to have off and staffing is an issue I will call in.

My most recent day off was a Tuesday. I came in Monday morning and asked the on-car how the staffing looked for the next day. He said he had plenty of coverage and that I was all set. I happened to see the casual who would be covering my run that day while I was in the mall making a drop box pickup and gave him a "heads up". When I came in off road I told my on-car and center manager that I saw Mason in the mall and they both said I shouldn't have said anything to him and that they both knew he would call in sick the following morning, which he did. Thankfully it was a slow day and they had other casuals available.

I guess the ICU stands for Incredibly Clueless (and) Useless.

I think your head is so far up your on car's a** , you couldn't see UpstateNY. Again, i hope your fellow brothers see you for what you are as well !!! Here kitty kitty.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tell you what---if you want to spend the next 30 years or so battling with management on each and every little thing then by all means go for it. I prefer to work with them as much as possible.

Incredibly Clueless and Useless

Buck Fifty

Tell you what---if you want to spend the next 30 years or so battling with management on each and every little thing then by all means go for it. I prefer to work with them as much as possible.

Incredibly Clueless and Useless

If its unfair for everybody Its fair ! I don't expect you to understand, the special ones usually don't (or won't for that matter).