Are there any FDC or ODC Clerks that Read Browncafe ??

Where there any FDC or ODC Clerks that Read Browncafe ??

If so lets compare notes - I have some great FDC and ODC stories to share form over the past few years.

Such as ( and this is very common from what I understand ) an old Supervisor telling me that we have to process so many package per hour...even going so far as to say it is in the contract. I said is it really ? Yep it is in there, he said - at which time I produced the book and said I tell you what show it to me and I will do how many it says to do an hour for you. At which point - all red faced and realizing the bluff was called he stormed off and nothing has ever been said again of PPH..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Valued Customer, your scenario is played throughout all operations. Most management and hourly employees never bother to read the contract, much less go by it. Way to go calling his bluff, hope the retaliation isn't too bad.

Where there any FDC or ODC Clerks that Read Browncafe ??

If so lets compare notes - I have some great FDC and ODC stories to share form over the past few years.

Such as ( and this is very common from what I understand ) an old Supervisor telling me that we have to process so many package per hour...even going so far as to say it is in the contract. I said is it really ? Yep it is in there, he said - at which time I produced the book and said I tell you what show it to me and I will do how many it says to do an hour for you. At which point - all red faced and realizing the bluff was called he stormed off and nothing has ever been said again of PPH..

Do I sense a prejudice against AGE and possibly authority?

I have no problems with age or the authority. Do I do believe in respect. Not only for myself and others but in the case stated above respect for the contract.

How about lying to people that work directly for you? Respect is earned, not given. I will not respect anyone who lies to me, regardless of their age, or authority.

I totally agree with you but you are missing the point I was trying to make. If you were to post a comment you had with a driver would you make the statement: I was talking to and "old" driver or I was talking to a "young" driver or, would you just state I was talking to a driver and.... (Get my point). :happy2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I totally agree with you but you are missing the point I was trying to make. If you were to post a comment you had with a driver would you make the statement: I was talking to and "old" driver or I was talking to a "young" driver or, would you just state I was talking to a driver and.... (Get my point). :happy2:

I did not take it like that anyway, read it as "old" as in "former". Not sure what they actually meant though.

KidUPS

International supervisor here. One of thee hardest jobs in the hub. Not enough credit, I believe, is given to FDC/ODC employees. Especially those that work in a location where volume is between 1000 - 2000 shipments or more. Each shipment needs to be processed and moved. Its literally its own working environment with so much going on at one time. So much. It is a job that takes a mind to be able to audit a $2000 shipment (key all the information about said shipment into a computer) that needs to be on a plane in the next hour or two. So many rules to follow. So much profit to be made and lost in International.
Not just a touch and go job like a sort aisle or unload.
I will say that it is commonly pressed on our shoulders that employees are to reach a certain production point. However, its has always been my practice to sell on team work and commitment. Have that in place, and you reach your marks.
I will tip my hat any day to any employee who has worked FDC/ODC.

frankie55

Hi, I am an FDC clerk. In 2002 FDC went union. My 11 years non union was not grandfathered in so basically I have to start over at the bottom of the senority list. Any one else in the same boat.

Do I sense a prejudice against AGE and possibly authority?
I read the original post the day it was posted and just went back to read it again. I took the "old" comment to identify the sup as someone that should know better than mis-quoting the contract to a union employee. Old vs. new.

Int'lguy

International Guy
KidUps - I can't agree with you more about the difficulty to work in the ODC operation. No it may not be as physically demanding as working in the hub but you really need to be on your toes, so to speak, to make sure you catch and key everything that needs to be done. Why it isn't considered a "skilled" job is beyond me.

Upstate - The paperless invoice service has had some good impact on the operation overall. The time it takes to image an invoice is eliminated as well as the doc auditor having to read/verify/and key what's on the invoice. It has improved service as well considering that each paperless invoice has an image already on file as opposed to those shipments that the invoice was not imaged for. With that said, when a customer does not upload their data by the time the pick up is made, or even that night, it throws a wrench into the whole process and the shipment is ultimately held resulting in a loss of one day in service.

Frankie55 - I remember that time very well and lost a LOT of respect for labor and the corporation for what I feel was a selling out of our ODC employees to push a contract through. It could have been done with a vote or something but forcing you into a union job without any recourse and everything else was just a bad deal.

KidUps - I can't agree with you more about the difficulty to work in the ODC operation. No it may not be as physically demanding as working in the hub but you really need to be on your toes, so to speak, to make sure you catch and key everything that needs to be done. Why it isn't considered a "skilled" job is beyond me.

Upstate - The paperless invoice service has had some good impact on the operation overall. The time it takes to image an invoice is eliminated as well as the doc auditor having to read/verify/and key what's on the invoice. It has improved service as well considering that each paperless invoice has an image already on file as opposed to those shipments that the invoice was not imaged for. With that said, when a customer does not upload their data by the time the pick up is made, or even that night, it throws a wrench into the whole process and the shipment is ultimately held resulting in a loss of one day in service.

Frankie55 - I remember that time very well and lost a LOT of respect for labor and the corporation for what I feel was a selling out of our ODC employees to push a contract through. It could have been done with a vote or something but forcing you into a union job without any recourse and everything else was just a bad deal.
Doesn't the contract say that any job that forwards the progress of packages is to be bargaining unit work?

Int'lguy

International Guy
Doesn't the contract say that any job that forwards the progress of packages is to be bargaining unit work?

Actually, the way we used to read the contract forwarding the progress of a package was moving the physical package from pickup to delivery. The ODC job is in the middle of the unload and sort of the "progress" of the package. There still needs to be someone to unload, sort, and load the package. At that time (prior to 2002) there were no ODC employees doing their main job of doc auditing/key entry and combining it with any other function such as unloading or sorting/loading. So because these processes still need to happen and the ODC position was not eliminating any "union" job, it was ok to be considered non-union.

My beef with converting the ODC people to union positions is not so much with that it did happen but mainly how it happened. I also disagree with the fact that they were considered non-skilled. IMO this is one of the most skilled part time jobs in the company.

Actually, the way we used to read the contract forwarding the progress of a package was moving the physical package from pickup to delivery. The ODC job is in the middle of the unload and sort of the "progress" of the package. There still needs to be someone to unload, sort, and load the package. At that time (prior to 2002) there were no ODC employees doing their main job of doc auditing/key entry and combining it with any other function such as unloading or sorting/loading. So because these processes still need to happen and the ODC position was not eliminating any "union" job, it was ok to be considered non-union.

My beef with converting the ODC people to union positions is not so much with that it did happen but mainly how it happened. I also disagree with the fact that they were considered non-skilled. IMO this is one of the most skilled part time jobs in the company.

Everyone at Ups has a job that requires knowledge and skill.

frankie55

I agree, that ODC should be a skilled position. People that know nothing about ODC thinks that you put a green sticker on the package and off it goes. They have no clue.

KidUPS

I agree, that ODC should be a skilled position. People that know nothing about ODC thinks that you put a green sticker on the package and off it goes. They have no clue.

I do agree, Frankie. Do be a ODC/FDC auditor you must complete a few weeks long training course. Compare that to sorting...its really beyond me. Especially an operation that requires the ODC auditors to move their own packages.

I may be a supervisor but what is fair is fair in my honest opinion.