Are we weather wimps?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just a discussion. It is very easy for me to say YES. As I am in my warm home, fire going, on vacation. But I worked in the polar vortex last year. Granted Ohio weather sucks, but all over the country we normally deal with weather like this.

Until last year, I never recall being called in early. I never recall emergency conditions. And very rarely do we close down. The ice storm last year in Dallas, that was unfortunate, they dont usually get snow and ice. But other than extremes like that, I dont recall us shutting down. And I seem to recall going out lighter so we could get done. Not a dispatch that wears blinders, and never looks out the door, only looks at a computer screen.

I also remember the coffee machine doling out warm coffee when we returned, on the house. Crappy as it may be, tasted good. It was small efforts to show some appreciation that we made it through an unusual day. I also dont recall scathing PCM's dripping with hatred toward a driver who got stuck, or slid into a car in an icy parking lot. While bad, its all a cost of doing business, no one can predict these things, we try our best to avoid them.

My school never closed unless the buses couldnt get out. My schools never closed because the ac didn't work. Heck we didn't have any, and I never knew many people who had it, I still don't have it. Its a few days. I have a one room conditioner, and I think I used it once last year, only because I am a weather wimp.

I do recall drivers in the country talking about farmers pulling them out of a ditch, or out of a driveway. Management laughing and joking with the drivers tale. Now its an accident if the lawn gets a divet. Not a manicured lawn, a cow road. And you get fired if you don't tell someone.

Just some thoughts on this cold wintry day, where everyone is posting their thermometers on social media. I would just like to have a time machine to go back to where things were more fun, and going out on a dangerously cold wintry day showed toughness, now it is with hesitance that we do it.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS has sucked what little fun there was out of driving a delivery truck. It used to be kind of fun to tear up some turf, spin some donuts or just basically drive the snot out of your truck. There was a time I could do with my P800 and P700 what any professional "drifter" does now days (as long as the road was icy).

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I think liability and social media play big into it now. We've become so sue crazy in this country companies have to be afraid of what will happen if they let people out in touchy situations.

Social media makes it even worse. If you get stuck in a PC or feeder now it can easily be all over the internet in a matter of minutes. I have to imagine big brown is afraid of a PC stuck being plastered on the USA Today twitter as an example of how bad it is.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
UPS has sucked what little fun there was out of driving a delivery truck. It used to be kind of fun to tear up some turf, spin some donuts or just basically drive the snot out of your truck. There was a time I could do with my P800 and P700 what any professional "drifter" does now days (as long as the road was icy).

I once pulled off a 1080 in a P500 on an ice covered parking lot.:)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just a discussion. It is very easy for me to say YES. As I am in my warm home, fire going, on vacation. But I worked in the polar vortex last year. Granted Ohio weather sucks, but all over the country we normally deal with weather like this.

Until last year, I never recall being called in early. I never recall emergency conditions. And very rarely do we close down. The ice storm last year in Dallas, that was unfortunate, they dont usually get snow and ice. But other than extremes like that, I dont recall us shutting down. And I seem to recall going out lighter so we could get done. Not a dispatch that wears blinders, and never looks out the door, only looks at a computer screen.

I also remember the coffee machine doling out warm coffee when we returned, on the house. Crappy as it may be, tasted good. It was small efforts to show some appreciation that we made it through an unusual day. I also dont recall scathing PCM's dripping with hatred toward a driver who got stuck, or slid into a car in an icy parking lot. While bad, its all a cost of doing business, no one can predict these things, we try our best to avoid them.

My school never closed unless the buses couldnt get out. My schools never closed because the ac didn't work. Heck we didn't have any, and I never knew many people who had it, I still don't have it. Its a few days. I have a one room conditioner, and I think I used it once last year, only because I am a weather wimp.

I do recall drivers in the country talking about farmers pulling them out of a ditch, or out of a driveway. Management laughing and joking with the drivers tale. Now its an accident if the lawn gets a divet. Not a manicured lawn, a cow road. And you get fired if you don't tell someone.

Just some thoughts on this cold wintry day, where everyone is posting their thermometers on social media. I would just like to have a time machine to go back to where things were more fun, and going out on a dangerously cold wintry day showed toughness, now it is with hesitance that we do it.

Back to the OP, I remember twice in my 34+ years we were told to stay home due to weather. The first was early in my years with UPS when Harpa couldn't send out feeders, because they got all of 10 inches of snow. We got two that day. I was covering porter that day, and started before everybody else was told to stay home. Easy day of pushing a broom around all the idle trucks.

The second was one day when the Governor shut the state down due to sub-zero cold.

I remember being called in once pre-DIAD because of (really) heavy snow. I got to my last pickup around 7:00 and found a note to call in. What a joke. I was still dedicated then, and I think I only had missed five stops all day.

JL 0513

It has to do with the culture of safety these days. Yes the liability factor is plays into that. The company isn't willing to take unnecessary risks. Why go out in a blizzard? 99% of packages aren't that important.

My center manager said, "This isn't the UPS of the '80's, safety is #1". Service must take a back seat to safety.

oldngray

nowhere special
Untitled.png

NASA satellite image shows the frozen wasteland that currently is the United States
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/20/8078923/nasa-snow-polar-vortex-usa-satellite

stealth8

Did 33 yrs in package, and have been retired for two years. How many of you guys and gals remember ink pens freezing up pre-DIAD days?? Use to keep a spare pen or two on the heating vent in the cab!!
And yes I was one of those country route guys that was pulled out of snow and ice more that once by those farmers and their John Deeres!! God I miss that!!