Are You Working Feb 14th?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MT3 and friends cut a special deal with ProFlowers that says we will deliver their pkgs on SUNDAY, February 14th. I'm sure "Happy Hands" will be there in the trenches with us once he finishes his champagne brunch with the wife. Not...
I'm hearing this is a full ops day, complete with airplanes and CTV's. Get ready for some FUN! The ops managers I've spoken with are not real happy with this.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'll order flowers for the wife so I can toast you boys and girls in purple while I'm enjoying a libation over a stoked grill.:peaceful:

D

Dis-organized Labor

I always thought there was money inside those little red packets; there are actually flowers???

Once again, the collective wisdom of Brown Cafe prevails. We should take on Middle Eastern Settlement issues next....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I always thought there was money inside those little red packets; there are actually flowers???

Once again, the collective wisdom of Brown Cafe prevails. We should take on Middle Eastern Settlement issues next....

We're delivering red envelopes, firecrackers, and flowers. With every pkg we deliver we will also place a cabbage outside the front door and perform a dragon dance, accompanied by firecrackers. This may surprise those just expecting flowers, and may be a problem in certain urban neighborhoods where gunplay is common.

FedExer267

Are you kidding me they want you to work on Sunday the 14th thats ridiculous. They made the agreement with Proflowers let the managers do it. Any driver knows that we work hard all week long and need or recoup time on the weekend. FedEx needs to stop writing checks they cant cash. If they ask me simple double time and they will be paying for the overpriced daycare my kids will be in so I can work.. I have heard it all now. Whats next working the 4th of July so we can deliver all the illegal fireworks customers are smuggling in their packages.

quadro

Are you kidding me they want you to work on Sunday the 14th thats ridiculous. They made the agreement with Proflowers let the managers do it. Any driver knows that we work hard all week long and need or recoup time on the weekend. FedEx needs to stop writing checks they cant cash. If they ask me simple double time and they will be paying for the overpriced daycare my kids will be in so I can work.. I have heard it all now. Whats next working the 4th of July so we can deliver all the illegal fireworks customers are smuggling in their packages.
It is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe FedEx agreed to this. Shame on them. They should have said no. That way Proflowers could have given the business to UPS. What the heck was FedEx thinking trying to build customer loyalty. And then providing all that overtime for the FedEx employees who volunteer to work. What kind of company provides opportunities like that?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe FedEx agreed to this. Shame on them. They should have said no. That way Proflowers could have given the business to UPS. What the heck was FedEx thinking trying to build customer loyalty. And then providing all that overtime for the FedEx employees who volunteer to work. What kind of company provides opportunities like that?
Theres no doubt in my mind that you will have plenty of volunteers for this operation, my question would be is it going to be fare for those who will be forced to work against their will. UPS has a couple of days of the year that if you work, between vacation pay and overtime pay you get double time and a half to work. Even with that as a lure they always need to force people to work anyhow. So yes in a large part of society, even today people do not want to work on either a Sunday or a Holiday. Don't get me wrong I completely believe that there's always a market for every service but whats next? Are you guys going to offer Labor Day service, or maybe Thanks Giving Day, or maybe you guys can deliver on Christmas and complete the selling out of your souls.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

OK, Mr. Sarcasm. When upper management cuts special deals like this they open the door for future special deals...like delivering Xmas Day for Amazon or on Mother's Day for the flower companies, or any other Sunday where they can have a monopoly on the business.If they make it an open bid where only the people who want the OT get it, that's fine, but in my station people will be mandoed.

Think it through. Based on the 34 hr "recharge" rule, only Tues-Sat people will be working in most cases. And a lot of employees don't want to work Sundays for religious reasons or perhaps because they want to enjoy V-Day with their significant other.

I'm guessing this will become more frequent if it is a success, and we'll be working all the big shipment days. That's what happens when you don't have a contract.

quadro

Theres no doubt in my mind that you will have plenty of volunteers for this operation, my question would be is it going to be fare for those who will be forced to work against their will. UPS has a couple of days of the year that if you work, between vacation pay and overtime pay you get double time and a half to work. Even with that as a lure they always need to force people to work anyhow. So yes in a large part of society, even today people do not want to work on either a Sunday or a Holiday. Don't get me wrong I completely believe that there's always a market for every service but whats next? Are you guys going to offer Labor Day service, or maybe Thanks Giving Day, or maybe you guys can deliver on Christmas and complete the selling out of your souls.
We just did deliver on Christmas. Happens just about every year but IME there are always more volunteers than number of people needed. And so what if FedEx determines there's a market for holiday deliveries? They'll come up with a plan and yes some people (gasp) might have to work on the holiday. There are many people in many walks of life and many industries that have to work on a holiday. That's the American way of life.

FedEx used to have Sunday delivery but it just wasn't profitable so it got canceled. But when it existed, Sunday was a part of somebody's regular schedule.

My point was really to those short sighted people that think it's a travesty that FedEx is going to deliver on Feb 14.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We just did deliver on Christmas. Happens just about every year but IME there are always more volunteers than number of people needed. And so what if FedEx determines there's a market for holiday deliveries? They'll come up with a plan and yes some people (gasp) might have to work on the holiday. There are many people in many walks of life and many industries that have to work on a holiday. That's the American way of life.

FedEx used to have Sunday delivery but it just wasn't profitable so it got canceled. But when it existed, Sunday was a part of somebody's regular schedule.

My point was really to those short sighted people that think it's a travesty that FedEx is going to deliver on Feb 14.
I suppose that a service being offered is not a bad idea at all, I imagine you work for Express thus your pay and compensation is complimentary to your job description. I'm also aware that you guys will receive time and a half and thats good. My comment is more for the Ground and Home Delivery guys and gals whose pay structure is not in line with yours or mine. Sunday delivery would be viewed at as a premium service, thus the pay you will receive should be as well.

quadro

I suppose that a service being offered is not a bad idea at all, I imagine you work for Express thus your pay and compensation is complimentary to your job description. I'm also aware that you guys will receive time and a half and thats good. My comment is more for the Ground and Home Delivery guys and gals whose pay structure is not in line with yours or mine. Sunday delivery would be viewed at as a premium service, thus the pay you will receive should be as well.
Ground/Home Delivery won't be delivering on Sunday, just Express.

FedExer267

It is ridiculous first of all working on a Sunday as the post says the 14th the last time I checked the 14th was a Sunday. Take into consideration that if this was to occur all the drivers who work sunday will not be working Monday because they will need 34 hours of rest before returning to work. Which shorthands you for Monday it comes down to whats more important, Flowers or your everyday business which is more important because they need you more than once a year. It just seems they would be setting themselves up for alot of service failure on Monday but then again this is FedEx so who knows what they are thinking.. To answer your question what type of company provides opportunities like that? I would think any company except for Ground/Home Delivery. If they told us we were working on the 14th for straight pay Id tell them to pound sand.

Washu234

I finally got around to watching Frontline today. The way I understood it this was only for ProFlower deliveries with a pretty wide window.

In fact they said it only affected 70% of stations. I'm interested to see how this works out.

Washu234

What I mean to say is apparently we're completely separating Proflowers freight from from the Monday freight on Sunday and only attempting Proflowers deliveries with residential release for almost all deliveries.

Anyway - what if we just let part timers off early on Friday and have full timers cover the already light P2/E2 Friday cycle (or vice versa) then ask them to come in Sunday for 4-6 hours overtime. Off at 11am Friday + 12 hours = 11pm Friday + 24 hours = 11 PM Saturday (36 hours off) ready to work 6 am Sunday.

But... knowing FedEx, whats more likely to happen is that management will ask for volunteers and tell everyone to manager their own hours compliance.