Are Your Packages Really More Secure With UPS’ New Access Point Service?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Are Your Packages Really More Secure With UPS’ New Access Point Service? - Consumerist

Last October, United Parcel Service announced it would attempt to cut down on delivery stops and protect consumers’ packages from sticky fingers with its Access Point service that drops off packages at local businesses where you can pick them up at your convenience. While the idea seems great in theory – who doesn’t want to protect their unattended packages? – in practice, it appears there are still a few kinks to work out: Mainly that people aren’t aware of the service, and the packages may not be as secure as we’d hoped.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Let's face it for what it is. Strictly an effort to save money and maximize profits by saving on gas and driver delivery time. The security part is a bunch of BS. If this theory is correct, UPS is saying that The non-UPS employee at some business is going to be more honest than the driver who delivers it to your door. It is still being handled from point A to point B by all the unload, reload and preload personnel that handle a normal delivery. This situation would have never come about if it wasn't for DR. One more example of profits and production being more important that the merchandise the customer ordered. I don't like the aspect of non UPS people handling packages. Too much room for abuse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's face it for what it is. Strictly an effort to save money and maximize profits by saving on gas and driver delivery time. The security part is a bunch of BS. If this theory is correct, UPS is saying that The non-UPS employee at some business is going to be more honest than the driver who delivers it to your door. It is still being handled from point A to point B by all the unload, reload and preload personnel that handle a normal delivery. This situation would have never come about if it wasn't for DR. One more example of profits and production being more important that the merchandise the customer ordered. I don't like the aspect of non UPS people handling packages. Too much room for abuse.

Are you seriously suggesting that we should go back to requiring a signature for each and every package?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I just think they want to get rid of clerks and customer counter jobs.
It'll eliminate counter jobs for sure (the biggest waste of money I have on a daily basis), but add correct clerks, not so much. They have to process the AP packages right now. At least in my building.