Arrival time/Start time

Blkgiraffe

At my location, we're told start time is at like 6:30, 6:45 or 7:00. However, rarely is start time reflected on the schedule. Work starts at 6:45 but my schedule says 7. Should I talk to someone about this or is this normal???

Blkgiraffe

Your daily start time should be posted,atleast the day before..

Some locals have a steady start time all week. It may be slightly different depending where you are at.
It differs where I work. Normally Monday is 6:30, Tues to Thurs is 6:45 and sometime Friday is 7.

We're told the previous day when to arrive the next day.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Did I say something wrong???

Basically I don't think I'm being paid for the 15 minutes I work due to the time on my schedule differing than when the warehouse starts up work.
Ask your union steward. You should be paid from minute you start work. Start times should be posted on Friday for the following weeks start times. If your start time for Monday says 4. Show up for work at 4.

Box Ox

If your start time is 7, punch in any time up to 6:59 and 59 seconds. Refuse to touch anything before then and invite sups to make your day if they try to get you to work off the clock.

The way I see it, it's about more than getting shorted 15 minutes of pay. Corporate doesn't care about me and I don't expect them to. So I imagine that if I fall off a catwalk or lose an arm off the clock things could get pretty ugly.

If work starts at 6:45 work starts at 6:45. If it says 6:45 on your start time (clock in) login computer that's the time that you will start getting paid.

MendozaJ

It's normal. Record your hours each day, every day. That's the only way you'll find out if you're getting time owed. If you're not told anything, go by the posted schedule.

BrownTexas

This happens everywhere. At our center they will tell everyone to get there at 6. Then they have untold staggered starts. Once you complain they will inform you of the staggered starts so then you know when to actually come in.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If your start time is 6, show up at 6. If they tell you 545 show up at 545 and make sure your start time is changed if you work. Don't ever work for free.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Did I say something wrong???

Basically I don't think I'm being paid for the 15 minutes I work due to the time on my schedule differing than when the warehouse starts up work.

You start when your schedule says you start.

Everyone does not necessarily start when the "warehouse" starts.

There may be staggered start times because the unload has to get the packages unloaded from the trailers onto the belts and down to the package cars. So preloaders may start 15 minutes after the unloaders.

Irreg workers may also start later, or they may start one right away and the rest 30 minutes later since there may not be that many irregs to process in the first half hour.

Bottom line, start when your schedule tells you to start. There are staggered times for a reason.

You are probably not being paid for that 15 minutes because you started yourself before your posted start time and are working off the clock.

browner89

If your start time is 6, show up at 6. If they tell you 545 show up at 545 and make sure your start time is changed if you work. Don't ever work for free.

This, never work for free and track your hours on your phone. Compare to paystubs weekly.

Also on top of this, make sure you're not showing up for the SORT start and having a different start time yourself. My hub only has about half the shift start at sort start and the rest are staggered over the next 15-45 minutes based on how long they've been there.

RealPerson

In Central, Start times MUST be posted the last day of the Week before.
If you are asked to work Before your start time is is 1.5X or double pay, I forget.
I would bet that most places have in the supplements that your work schedule is to be POSTED.

If you are working before your start time and a supervisor did not instruct you (you getting X times pay) then you are working OFF the clock and if you get injured, you are not covered... ehhh

No_Member_Name

I've never seen our start time posted anywhere in our hub. They just announce it everyday. "Tomorrow start time is.......for the primary and 15 minutes later for the hub"

PT Car Washer

In Central, Start times MUST be posted the last day of the Week before.
If you are asked to work Before your start time is is 1.5X or double pay, I forget.
I would bet that most places have in the supplements that your work schedule is to be POSTED.

If you are working before your start time and a supervisor did not instruct you (you getting X times pay) then you are working OFF the clock and if you get injured, you are not covered... ehhh
As long as you are on company property you are covered. You could be disciplined for working off the clock.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ask your union steward. You should be paid from minute you start work. Start times should be posted on Friday for the following weeks start times. If your start time for Monday says 4. Show up for work at 4.

That's part of the problem. I could place a safe bet most don't even know who the steward is. Just look at all the part time sups working in the hub. It's a big part of the work force.

I wonder how many jobs could be created if the union would simply enforce the contract?