Article 37 (9.5 excessive overtime penalty pay language)

The Driver

I drive.
Article 37 of the 2013-2018 UPS/Teamsters contract states that:

The Employer’s Vice President and the Union’s Co-Chair shall have the discretion to grant the grievant triple time pay for hours worked in excess of nine and one half (9.5) hours per day and/or to order the Employer to adjust the driver’s work schedule.

If I'm on the list and my straight pay rate is $25.00, does this mean if I go over 9.5 by 10 hours this week (57.5 hours total for the week) that I can expect (at some point in the future) a check for $75 x 10.00 = $750 (less taxes, etc).

Or am I missing something? I've received a grievance check before and they do not put the hours included in the penalty pay on the paystub.

Indecisi0n

You get triple time day for anything worked over 9.5 hrs for that week. So if you worked:

M- 10hr T - 10hr W- 8 R- 10hr friend-10.5

Thats 2.5 of triple time of your pay rate. When you file get the grievance number from your rep so you can document it. Then one day you'll be called into the office to sign for your check. All checks are live checks not direct deposit. UPS pushing off paying them for as long as they can to try and discourage drivers from filing. Making them feel like "well i don't see the check for months any...". I sort of like it that way because months later I get a free $1000.00 check as a surprise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Say you work 3 days of 10.5 hours.

That's 3 hours of triple time pay. You've already been paid time and a half so essentially you get 3 more hours of time and a half.

Indecisi0n

That's fine you can opt OFF of the list but everyone should start on it.
Instead of doing that, just have it so once you file the first time you are on the list and STAY on the list until you OPT off. I don't like that you drop off the list after 6 months. Company doesn't care about paying the 9.5's anyway. Union better make it even stronger this time round. The good thing is the company is pissing off the employees so much that they are starting to hate the company and that will show come negotiation time.

Brownslave688

Instead of doing that, just have it so once you file the first time you are on the list and STAY on the list until you OPT off. I don't like that you drop off the list after 6 months. Company doesn't care about paying the 9.5's anyway. Union better make it even stronger this time round. The good thing is the company is pissing off the employees so much that they are starting to hate the company and that will show come negotiation time.
I agree there's more than one way to skin this cat.

35years

Gravy route
Better yet make all time worked over 9.5 triple time, no grievance needed.

Better still, allow drivers to miss stops and bring them in after 9.5 without discipline.

The Driver

I drive.
Say you work 3 days of 10.5 hours.

That's 3 hours of triple time pay. You've already been paid time and a half so essentially you get 3 more hours of time and a half.

So if my base rate is 25.00, do they pay me additionally 75.00/hour of penalty pay or just 37.50/hour of penalty pay at the time they issue the penalty check?

I'm still confused.

Brownslave688

Not many .....as back in the day
We've got a few older guys that'll take it if it's preload hours or gravy stuff at the end of the day

A buddy at my old center works 12 hours almost every day. He will help anyone and go do anything. Every once in awhile the center manager gets a wild hair that he's gonna cut him down to 8 hours.

Lasts 2-3 days. Place falls apart. Missed pick ups missed pieces and then it all goes back to normal. Lol