Article about Amazon drivers

bacha29

TL;DR: They are low wage idiots who drive like hell and kill people and you can't sue Amazon if one of them hits you.

The human cost of Amazon's fast, free shipping
It's a story about the race to the bottom of the very fast and the very cheap freight business. A business made possible by the current availability of cheap and easily exploited low skill, bottom of the economic ladder labor. The quantities of that type of labor and whether or not there's going to be enough of it to go around is something we might get a better picture of this coming peak if we see scores of Ground and Amazon contractors standing around with their thumbs up their posteriors buried in boxes because they wrongly assumed that they would be guaranteed their fair share of that cheap labor supply.

Might be quite a few of them.

Think I'll go renew my medical card followed by an emotional reattachment with my recliner then just settle back prop up my feet and enjoy the fun of it all.

fedex_rtd

FedEx started this rush to the bottom, back when they stood up Ground, and instead of hiring professionals they have hired the dredges, I remember when at a SFA meeting some of the drivers at my station said that the Grand drivers in our area looked like :censored2: in their uniforms and the trucks were all dented up, management just mouthed the corporate line...the customer does not care what the delivery person looks like, they just want their package.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx started this rush to the bottom, back when they stood up Ground, and instead of hiring professionals they have hired the dredges, I remember when at a SFA meeting some of the drivers at my station said that the Grand drivers in our area looked like :censored2: in their uniforms and the trucks were all dented up, management just mouthed the corporate line...the customer does not care what the delivery person looks like, they just want their package.
Well if that’s true then why does Express and Ground insist on uniforms? Blue jeans and T-shirts should foot the bill just fine then.

Truth is that was just a prescripted response concocted by Memphis. What a bunch of liars.

bacha29

You got that right. Bezos and Smith simply took the labor of that dependable, competent, public relations savvy daily route driver and devalued it to the same level as fast food workers and pizza delivery drivers. Now that they've shown that it can be done others will be trying the same thing.

This practice will continue until the supply of grunts and box ox is exhausted. The only question is when and who will be the first to be impacted.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I remember when at a SFA meeting some of the drivers at my station said that the Grand drivers in our area looked like :censored2: in their uniforms and the trucks were all dented up, management just mouthed the corporate line...the customer does not care what the delivery person looks like, they just want their package.

Why would Express employees bring up Ground uniforms at an SFA meeting?????

59 Dano

You wouldn’t understand.

Trying to understand why you'd complain about another company's employee uniforms during a meeting where you're supposed to complain about YOUR company in general and your workgroup in particular.

Then again, your reasoning never makes much sense about anything else so I don't guess it should be expected to make sense in this case, either.

"These are these issues within our workgroup. Discuss"

Cactus/those like him: "BUT THUH GRAWND YOO-NUH-FORM!! THUH GRAWND YOO-NUH-FORMS!!!"

Cactus

Trying to understand why you'd complain about another company's employee uniforms during a meeting where you're supposed to complain about YOUR company in general and your workgroup in particular.

Then again, your reasoning never makes much sense about anything else so I don't guess it should be expected to make sense in this case, either.

"These are these issues within our workgroup. Discuss"

Cactus/those like him: "BUT THUH GRAWND YOO-NUH-FORM!! THUH GRAWND YOO-NUH-FORMS!!!"
Nice try at muddying the waters once again. Told you that you wouldn't understand and every time something flies over your head (a lot) you go into Jethro mode.

Did the 10 year old neighbor kid give you advice for your retort or something? Either that or I must have hurt your feelings.

59 Dano

Nice try at muddying the waters once again. Told you that you wouldn't understand and every time something flies over your head (a lot) you go into Jethro mode.

Did the 10 year old neighbor kid give you advice for your retort or something? Either that or I must have hurt your feelings.

It's funny how people who think they're smart always end up working for (and achieving less than) people that they view as stupid. It's as if they lack basic cognitive traits that everyone else has.

vantexan

It's funny how people who think they're smart always end up working for (and achieving less than) people that they view as stupid. It's as if they lack basic cognitive traits that everyone else has.
Or could be that the system favors those who don't question, don't have an independent thought, freeze up at the thought of doing anything outside of policy. For that they get rewarded like the good little soldiers they are.

Cactus

It’s funny how some people (like you) get a huge ego just by having a position at FedEx where one gets by being yes man and doesn’t get his hands dirty.

floridays

Lets be honest, cognitive skills have little to no value in awarding the title of manager in this corporation.

Senior managers come from this pool of quite often people of limited mental capacity.

You've, (if you are or ever were in front line management) received your talking points. No quotation marks needed for the words talking points, it's clearly visible as a header.

Before I continue, is anything I've said in this post incorrect?

dmac1

TL;DR: They are low wage idiots who drive like hell and kill people and you can't sue Amazon if one of them hits you.

The human cost of Amazon's fast, free shipping
There's no difference in quality of drivers between FXG and Amazon. When fedex started insisting on multi route owners, it assured that the quality of service would fall when the drivers had no investment in the job. They could have made them employee drivers who were required to supply their own vehicles which would have kept the drivers invested in the job. Instead FEDEX cheaped out assuring lower service quality because drivers of multiroute contractors have other alternatives in most of the country where unemployment is low.

59 Dano

Or could be that the system favors those who don't question, don't have an independent thought, freeze up at the thought of doing anything outside of policy. For that they get rewarded like the good little soldiers they are.

I used to think the same thing back when I was young, impatient, and in need of an excuse. Eventually it dawned on me that there I was with all the answers yet nothing going on - was the system set up to screw people like me or did people like me mischaracterize the system? Turns out it was the latter.

59 Dano

It’s funny how some people (like you) get a huge ego just by having a position at FedEx where one gets by being yes man and doesn’t get his hands dirty.

You see it as me having a huge ego, I see it as me being well aware of my limitations. You see it as me being a yes man (to WHO???), I see it as me not being a sour, impatient malcontent. YMMV.