Asked Supervisor To Clock Me Out Early, Needed To Deal With Mental Health Crisis. Can I Be Fired?

I’m a bargaining unit employee that has worked at a UPS Hub in Red River for about 9 months. Recently, I experienced a loss (management is aware) and I’ve had to come into sort as I’m not yet covered under bereavement policy.

I’ve struggled with mental health in the past but all of my symptoms are well-managed and management wasn’t aware until I notified them the day following my early departure.

Having to continue working without proper time to grieve has made my PTSD unmanageable thus forcing me to leave work early for mine and others safety.

I’m having to seek treatment all of this I’ve notified my managers about but I still wonder if this is grounds for termination or will I simply be issued an infarction for having to seek out treatment but leaving sort early and the following day.

Sorry if this is kinda outside your knowledge. My steward is on vacation and figured I’d pop my BrownCafe-Cherry after a year of spectating.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I’m a bargaining unit employee that has worked at a UPS Hub in Red River for about 9 months. Recently, I experienced a loss (management is aware) and I’ve had to come into sort as I’m not yet covered under bereavement policy.

I’ve struggled with mental health in the past but all of my symptoms are well-managed and management wasn’t aware until I notified them the day following my early departure.

Having to continue working without proper time to grieve has made my PTSD unmanageable thus forcing me to leave work early for mine and others safety.

I’m having to seek treatment all of this I’ve notified my managers about but I still wonder if this is grounds for termination or will I simply be issued an infarction for having to seek out treatment but leaving sort early and the following day.

Sorry if this is kinda outside your knowledge. My steward is on vacation and figured I’d pop my BrownCafe-Cherry after a year of spectating.
If you’ve put in 9 months and have been a sound employee. Chances are they will be good to you in return.
However, stay in contact with the union. Find out who your local B.A. is and explain the situation to him. That could, and probably will help you out. Just be honest and genuine at all times man.
Good luck brother

Don’t know if you’ve worked long enough for FMLA but If it was me that’s where I’d start
I’m not FMLA eligible until June. I work IRREGS and have the longest seniority of my area and have been told to be a model employee with good work ethics. I only worry because when I was off sick with COVID, HR was calling me up every single day even though I still had COVID.

rod

Retired 22 years
I’m not FMLA eligible until June. I work IRREGS and have the longest seniority of my area and have been told to be a model employee with good work ethics. I only worry because when I was off sick with COVID, HR was calling me up every single day even though I still had COVID.
Just curious. Out of 9 months how much have you actually worked?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

If you have PTSD from being in the military, I would bring that up if necessary. That would probably help you out. It’s definitely nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited:

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
If you have PTSD from being in the military, I would bring that up if necessary. That would probably help you out. It’s definitely nothing to be ashamed of.
I was a military policeman in the Marine Corps Reserve for six years. Although I was mostly tasked with sexual harassment/assault response/prevention, I can point you in exactly the right direction to obtain the time, space, and healing that is afforded to you both by law and the nature of us taking care of our own.

MisplacedRailWorker

That is if your PTSD began during or after military service… PTSD occurs in non-military members obviously, and the number of people suffering with it in that category are much larger. In that case I would need to know a little bit more like do you have a therapist/psychologist or are youAnd treatment of any kind. Health and wellness laws in the military and outside of the military are very similar, if you’re not comfortable talking about it in public feel free to private message me.

Whereistheunion

Sounds more like a FMLA issue, look into (FMLA) so you can take off with NO occurrence and when nesscecary. Don't depend on management. Take your life and what's best for you into your own hands.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

The reason I ask.... as a part-time employee, you need to meet the eligibility requirements.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

MisplacedRailWorker

The reason I ask.... as a part-time employee, you need to meet the eligibility requirements.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

He’s in Texas does he have a different supplement or rider? I’m wondering if state DOL laws affect the contract For his local specifically

And in general
If riders or supplements are written initially based on/guided by the state laws. This is completely off-topic so go ahead and delete it anyway but I’m just curious