Asked to sign in order to pick up package

I work for Express, yesterday I had an oncall pickup called in at a local ma and pop pharmacy. I walk in, scan the package (which was a billable stamp small fedex box) say thanks and have good day. One of their employees rushes over to me and yells "Wait, you have to sign this!" I politely reply, no sir I can't sign, that's what our tracking system is for. Immediately he becomes pissed and we had a less than cordial exchange but I sign the sheet of paper after all considering I had already pup scanned the package and closed out the stop. Is there any concrete Express policy saying we are to sign or NOT to sign for packages for pickup?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I work for Express, yesterday I had an oncall pickup called in at a local ma and pop pharmacy. I walk in, scan the package (which was a billable stamp small fedex box) say thanks and have good day. One of their employees rushes over to me and yells "Wait, you have to sign this!" I politely reply, no sir I can't sign, that's what our tracking system is for. Immediately he becomes :censored2: and we had a less than cordial exchange but I sign the sheet of paper after all considering I had already pup scanned the package and closed out the stop. Is there any concrete Express policy saying we are to sign or NOT to sign for packages for pickup?
Sign E. Presley.

dezguy

I refuse to sign anything a customer gives me. If they want to argue it, it gets left behind as PUX92, not ready.

Last edited:
99% of the time so do I. I don't sign, but had I known before pup'ing the package and closing out the stop I would have just left it. My question is, is it Express policy that we do not sign?

dezguy

99% of the time so do I. I don't sign, but had I known before pup'ing the package and closing out the stop I would have just left it. My question is, is it Express policy that we do not sign?
I haven't read anything about it in the people manual but I have spoken to a manager about it. I was told that if I'm not comfortable doing it, I probably shouldn't.

We aren't allowed to sign AWB's, I'm sure not signing anything else. The way I look at it, I didn't pack the item. I'm not shipping it. I'm not even 100% sure what is in the package. I'm not putting my name to it in any way.

upschuck

Being from UPS, I don't quite understand what the hangup is about signing for picking up a package. You are signing that you received the package, nothing else. It makes the customer feel a little more secure about that package, for whatever reason.

You require people to sign for packages, what is the difference?

dezguy

Being from UPS, I don't quite understand what the hangup is about signing for picking up a package. You are signing that you received the package, nothing else. It makes the customer feel a little more secure about that package, for whatever reason.

You require people to sign for packages, what is the difference?
I'm paid to get that signature. No where in my employment offer did it say I was being paid to sign in order to pick up packages.

As I said above, I don't know what is in the package, how it was packed, ect. I'm not going to put my name to something I had no part in other than scanning and putting on my truck. The tracking number proves that we received the package, why do you also need a signature?

What happens if something goes wrong and that package disappears or is damaged? All of a sudden, that customer has my signature. We don't have union representation. Whats to keep the company from using me as a scapegoat to keep said customer happy and firing me?

There are a lot of variables that keep me from putting my name to a package. It's just me covering my butt.

upschuck

I'm paid to get that signature. No where in my employment offer did it say I was being paid to sign in order to pick up packages.

As I said above, I don't know what is in the package, how it was packed, ect. I'm not going to put my name to something I had no part in other than scanning and putting on my truck. The tracking number proves that we received the package, why do you also need a signature?

What happens if something goes wrong and that package disappears or is damaged? All of a sudden, that customer has my signature. We don't have union representation. Whats to keep the company from using me as a scapegoat to keep said customer happy and firing me?

There are a lot of variables that keep me from putting my name to a package. It's just me covering my butt.
The board that it is scanned into has your name in it, so it is already linked to you, correct? You are signing just saying you took custody of that package from the shipper, nothing else.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see what is the aversion to signing for that package.

Schweddy

Balls
It's rare for me and it's been a while since I've signed one but I'm with upschuck on the acceptance. I think it also talks about penalties for messing with it, distribution, etc.

Sparky

I had a couple of doorman buildings that had me sign their system after they signed for the package, along with the occasional dvx pickup, I just scribble or draw a smiley face.

outtatime

So if the package had 10 scans after you scanned it and the last scan was in MEM then went missing, you would be responsible since you picked it up? I don't see how signing for custody of a package makes you responsible for it's entire journey. Does the paper you're sighing specifically state this?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So if the package had 10 scans after you scanned it and the last scan was in MEM then went missing, you would be responsible since you picked it up? I don't see how signing for custody of a package makes you responsible for it's entire journey. Does the paper you're sighing specifically state this?

The ones I've seen were from pharmacies and it was to document the package's chain of custody.

Really, though? Not signing one because "Blah blah, I'm not going to sign not knowing what's in it, blah blah" is just silly. You're saying you received the package, nothing more and nothing less. It's stupid when a recipient won't sign for a package because "I don't know what's in it or why it's being sent to me blah blah" and it's stupid if we're as paranoid as they are.

dex 84

I just sign the slip. I know the package will make it to the PM sort and that's as long as I'm responsible for it anyways.

Kinko's makes you sign for the pickup too. I don't know if anyone would feel different about that since it's a Fedex company...

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I just initial their silly slip. I pup a jewlery store that wants me to do it. I humor them and stare at the ladie's tight fitting shirts (which I'm sure is their company's policy) while I'm there.