Asking for Double Time

MassWineGuy

So lts of people where I work are on medical leave and we are very short staffed. I've been working some mornings each week. Next week I'm on vacation but will be home. They need me then, too. But I told the manager that working during my vacaton would require me getting double time. I like the guy and help a lot. But business is business. Why am I feeling guilty?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So lts of people where I work are on medical leave and we are very short staffed. I've been working some mornings each week. Next week I'm on vacation but will be home. They need me then, too. But I told the manager that working during my vacaton would require me getting double time. I like the guy and help a lot. But business is business. Why am I feeling guilty?
Brainwashed with purple koolaid.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Don’t feel guilty. His management problems are not YOUR problems. If DO you work, you WILL get double time (Vacation and regular pay) and I have no idea how it works over 8.

Serf

I worked 60 hrs a week since April. Only now am I back down to 46-49 hrs. And still I get asked every day if I can stay longer. Never seen it this short staffed. They can pay you your vaca time in addition to any hrs you work that week. But the taxes taken out are huge.

SmithBarney

You would be getting double time, your vacation pay + hours worked... ;)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How does one get paid if they work over 8 hours on their vacation day?
Regular pay up to 8 hours, OT for anything over 8, plus your 8 hours (or 4 if PT) of vacation pay. It's just like any other day except that you get a day of vacation pay on top of your pay for time worked. We never allowed anyone to do that unless they had eligible vacation time that could be sold and we did it via that method. Without eligible vacation time to sell, they would just reschedule the vacation.

I haven't heard of anyone working through vacation without jumping through the "sell vacation time" hoops in forever. It's not something I would do if I was an ops manager today.

falcon back

You get regular pay for working during your vacation. There is no premium. You have the option to take the vacation pay or reschedule the time.
You are incorrect. Have done it a number of times. If you get paid vacation time, the hours you work are OT. Your time card is coded DAY OFF and payroll pays you OT. You might get someone at your location to explain it to you because it's obvious you are misinformed. We have people doing it regularly. Your location might not allow it but it is done at other locations

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You are incorrect. Have done it a number of times. If you get paid vacation time, the hours you work are OT. Your time card is coded DAY OFF and payroll pays you OT. You might get someone at your location to explain it to you because it's obvious you are misinformed.
People Manual, section 1-15 ("Vacation for Nonexempt Employees"):
Employees who begin their vacation and are called back to work do not receive premium compensation for work during vacation
Now you show me in the People Manual where it says you get OT pay for working on a vacation.

falcon back

You get regular pay for working during your vacation. There is no premium. You have the option to take the vacation pay or reschedule the time.
You are incorrect. Have done it a number of times. If you get paid vacation time, the hours you work are OT. Your time card is coded DAY OFF and payroll pays you OT. You might get someone at your location to explain it to you because it's obvious you are misinformed

Now you show me in the People Manual where it says you get OT pay for working on a vacation.
Don't need to show you in the People Manual.
I find it on my pay stub. Doesn't matter to me. My coworkers and I get it so others must as well.

vantexan

You are incorrect. Have done it a number of times. If you get paid vacation time, the hours you work are OT. Your time card is coded DAY OFF and payroll pays you OT. You might get someone at your location to explain it to you because it's obvious you are misinformed

Don't need to show you in the People Manual.
I find it on my pay stub. Doesn't matter to me. My coworkers and I get it so others must as well.
I worked a scheduled vacation once. Got vacation pay plus time and a half for all hours worked. Too good to pass up.

MassWineGuy

Hmm. This is getting interesting. I would still rather spend paid vacation time away from work. But maybe I’ll go in a couple of mornings.

FedexCares

Do this all the time as well. Granted I work for a different opco these days (Fedex logistics) but if I have a vacation/holiday off I get the 8 hours for the vacation/holiday then time and a half for coming in to work.

AB831

The only thing you should feel guilty about is not demanding triple time.

!Retired!

If there's a week you want/wanted, but didn't get, you can use that as leverage. Tell them to change your vacation to that week and you'll work for them. Get it in writing!!