Ryan112

To start a career with UPS? I'd want to shoot for a driver position eventually and as I understand there is a long wait list.

I've been reading on here that a lot of times people don't make driver until their 30s 40s or even later.

So at 36, would I even have a chance?

I believe I'm physically capable. I'm the type that prefers physical labor over a desk job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
To start a career with UPS? I'd want to shoot for a driver position eventually and as I understand there is a long wait list.

I've been reading on here that a lot of times people don't make driver until their 30s 40s or even later.

I believe I'm physically capable. I'm the type that prefers physical labor over a desk job.
It’s not about the labor as much as it is about the time away from family or any hobbies Mon-Friday. Do a search on these forums, drivers aren’t complaining about the physical aspect, the number 1 complaint is forced time away from home.

TheFigurehead

You'd have to start inside like everyone else... and that will probably be a physical and mental adjustment (depending on the shift you work and what your job is now). You'll work in the middle of the night (unless you work twilight)... and pretty much be a box moving machine for at least a year for very few hours, very little money, and no holidays, vacation, or insurance for that year. Depending on where you work, you'll wait anywhere from a year to 8 - 10 years (in smaller buildings) to get the chance to try and become a driver. You have to go to training, and then go through your trial period. Lots of people don't make it.

That said, you can definitely do it at 36... it's entirely dependent on your ability to survive on next to nothing (or work 2 jobs) until a spot opens up, your ability to put up with UPS's nonsense, and what the people in your life are willing to sacrifice in order for you to get where you want (and even more so once you get there).

Refused/NR3

You'd have to start inside like everyone else... and that will probably be a physical and mental adjustment (depending on the shift you work and what your job is now). You'll work in the middle of the night (unless you work twilight)... and pretty much be a box moving machine for at least a year for very few hours, very little money, and no holidays, vacation, or insurance for that year. Depending on where you work, you'll wait anywhere from a year to 8 - 10 years (in smaller buildings) to get the chance to try and become a driver. You have to go to training, and then go through your trial period. Lots of people don't make it.

That said, you can definitely do it at 36... it's entirely dependent on your ability to survive on next to nothing (or work 2 jobs) until a spot opens up, your ability to put up with UPS's nonsense, and what the people in your life are willing to sacrifice in order for you to get where you want (and even more so once you get there).

Nailed it!

E

el blanco

it's possible

but a long and difficult road

the years needed on the back end to reach retirement will be tough, especially now

Slow walker

I started when I was 19 on the dock and started driving at 24. I've been full time for 24 years and I don't know if it's the years of getting on and off that truck or old age but I can't imagine starting in my 30s. Good luck

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Social Security would kick in with the pension, so retirement would be very comfortable.

RoadKill25

we recently had a full time driver sign up. not one part timer signed up. they had to look off the street for a driver. we currently have 55 ft drivers. so who knows!

The Driver

I drive.

As long as you feel good I wouldn't worry about your age. Eat healthy and work safely and you'll be fine. This job takes a toll on your personal and family life, though. Be prepared to spend your life at this job. Money is good though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If you're looking at more than a couple years to go driving I would say don't bother.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It's not worth putting your life on hold for ups. They disqualify a majority of drivers for any reason.
We had new full time drivers quit mid day this peak.
I don't recommend anyone work at ups unless you can go straight into feeders.
Check upsjobs.com for an off the street full time position in the spring.

walk it off

Try and find out. 36 is not too old, good luck

clean hairy

One guy on here walked into human resources and was hired as a driver.
Of course they KNEW instantly he would be adequate for the job.
Not sure they even had him on a 30 day probationary period, but retires in 2018.
Might be you could jump right in and fill his position...