At UPS, the Algorithm Is the Driver

Returntosender

TIMONIUM, Md.—Here’s a math problem for you. Each United Parcel Service Inc. driver makes an average of 120 stops per day. There are 6,689,502,913,449,135,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 alternatives for ordering those stops. Which option is the most efficient, after considering variables such as special delivery times, road regulations, and the existence of private roads that don’t appear on a map?

UPS engineers are already enhancing Orion so it will update delivery schedules while drivers are on the road, useful in a situation in which a driver might abandon Orion’s instructions because of an unexpected road closure due to an accident, but want to resume using Orion later in the day. Upcoming versions also will include turn-by-turn driving instructions—not yet part of the system.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-ups-the-algorithm-is-the-driver-1424136536

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are about to go on ORION and one of the team members said that if you look at ten different delivery addresses, there are over a million different combinations as to what order you could run them.

oldngray

nowhere special
We are about to go on ORION and one of the team members said that if you look at ten different delivery addresses, there are over a million different combinations as to what order you could run them.

That is compared to where an experienced driver could immediately discard 99.9% of the possibilities leaving so few options you could count them on one hand.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And maybe 2-3 that make any damn sense.

This is the problem. My brain doesn't see the billions of options and decide between them. It's sees the handful that make a shred of sense and decides between them.

upschuck

3,628,800 to be exact, and I bet they pick the solution in the lower half on how to run it.

Johney

That is compared to where an experienced driver could immediately discard 99.9% of the possibilities leaving so few options you could count them on one hand.
Of course, but that's where it becomes a problem. What you know is the best option is in the bottom 10% of Orion decisions and will generate a bad report for you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe 3 for a human.
Artificial Intelligence will have to mature quite a bit before the residential or rural driver can be approached by ORION.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

No, there really isn't. There is only one way. The way a driver delivered it using his area knowledge and common sense.

onehandsolo

That's the same thing they told us a year ago when my center started it. Overall Orion works on about half of the routes, but it still has a lot of bugs on those routes and does not give you enough time to deliver most stops. I cannot remember the last time a sup a broached me about not meeting my Orion numbers.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Orion has potential to be a really good system. It just isn't quite there yet. They need to program it to save time AND miles for it to save any real money. Saving 5 miles a route everyday is good. But who cares if you are paying a top rate driver an hour of overtime to save those 5 miles. You're canceling any gains you may have made saving those miles and then some.

clean hairy

In the beginning of the video it mentions improving the bottom line.
They forget to mention it improves the bottm line of the drivers checks from the increased hours.
Also not mentioned, is during peak season it works so well it is not used.

Hi

I am Orion.... and just here to help. :biggrin:

-Bug-