Atlanta Area UPS Affected

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wondering how the extensive flooding and hundreds of roads washed out or closed and the Interstates closed at three locations is affecting UPS Operations?
Work to home commutes was taking 3 - 4 hours last night (I did a little better).
Six people have been killed in flood waters in the Metro Atlanta area.

Never seen it this bad in 35+ years in Atlanta.

It has been raining for a week now and in West Atlanta (where I am) over 20 inches of rain since Sunday morning.

kronosa2

Definitely seems to be affecting it at least a bit.

Got 2 packages with scheduled dates today, 1ZWA32790361872173 and 1Z5Y9F330361367041...as you can see things aren't looking too good for today :(

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We just sent down some Brown Jet/Skis , you guys think you can get some airs off !!!! JKNG Best Wishes to all our brothers & sisters down there !!

brett636

I've been hearing how bad it is down there. Its amazing to think only a couple of years ago Atlanta and Georgia in general was going through one of its worst droughts in its history. Be safe!

bad company

semi-pro
Atlanta Hub hit the hardest. Lots of packages undeliverable today due to emergency conditions. High rate of call ins left some routes sitting in the building until late afternoon. Didn't help that Atlanta just eliminated several management personnel and was running under staffed.

Pleasantdale also had some operational issues. From my understanding, it wasn't nearly as bad as Atlanta's.

Forest Park was business as normal.

Big Babooba

I know that you have had drought conditions for the past couple of years. You needed the rain, but not all at once. How's Lake Lanier looking? On the brighter side, be happy that it's not all snow. 1 inch of rain = 10 to 12 inches of snow. (You guys can't drive in a half inch of the stuff!)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know that you have had drought conditions for the past couple of years. You needed the rain, but not all at once. How's Lake Lanier looking? On the brighter side, be happy that it's not all snow. 1 inch of rain = 10 to 12 inches of snow. (You guys can't drive in a half inch of the stuff!)
Lake Lanier is almost at Full Pool.
No comment on your 1 inch.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Still closing roads and bridges ... wonder if Scratch is home yet?

I got home at 8:45 tonight, I left work at 6:00, almost three hours to go 27 miles. I-20 was shut down in a couple of places, as well as most of the highways. I finally noticed where some truckers were going so I followed them to find the only bridge that was high enough that the Chattahoochee River didn't cover it. That was on Camp Creek Pkwy between Fulton Industrial Blvd and Douglas County, for the local folks.

My water pressure was on when I got home, we didn't have any yesterday. That hot shower tonight was great. It rained all last week, so the ground was totally saturated. Sunday I put an empty bucket on my back deck, and it overfilled, so I got at least 16 inches in one day. A lot of local back roads are still closed, the ride in the morning should be interesting. I might call in if its anything like tonight. We lucked up and got no rain today, the weather folks are saying the local rivers should drop 10-20 feet tomorrow.

I imagine the Atlanta Hub off Fulton Industrial and the Pleasantdale Hub just North of I-285 were heavily affected by interstate closings. I had a driver out of the Atlanta Hub call me a little while ago and he said he had to sheet up over a hundred missed as "emergency conditions". He couln't get to most of his route. You hear about floods like this hitting other parts of the country, this one just happened so fast it caught everybody off guard. A lot of the river levels were about ten feet over any previous flood. We should be in better shape in a day or two, but there are a lot of bridges out and it will take a while to get the roads back to normal.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I called in already. I left my house and made it a mile and a half after sitting in traffic for an hour. It was hard to get a signal on my cell phone because so many people were stuck in traffic. The estimates are four hours to get through the flooded area over the same route it took me three hours to get home last night. They are routing all the traffic off Interstate 20 down Hwy 92, and then trying to get all these cars down a two way side street over to Camp Creek Pkwy, where the only bridge over the Chattahoochee River is open. My only other alternative would be to drive North and make about a 50-60 mile detour. I live in an area where I have to cross two rivers, Sweetwater Creek and the Chattahoochee, to get to the Forest Park Hub. I live on the West side of Atlanta and I work on the South side. I had no problems getting around work Monday and Tuesday, I just can't get there today. Hopefully the water will go down and they can inspect these bridges and get some of them opened up today.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Monday was a hoot with I-285 closed. I got to tour downtown Atlanta from the comfort of my Sterling tractor. Tuesday was a pain. I-20 was closed from 285 west, and I really needed to only go 1.5 miles over very dry interstate, but the cop just wouldn't let me. So I had to wind my set of doubles over 5 miles of narrow and curvy 2 lane. I am so glad my blood pressure pills work really well.
I hope that I-20 will be open tonight.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Monday was a hoot with I-285 closed. I got to tour downtown Atlanta from the comfort of my Sterling tractor. Tuesday was a pain. I-20 was closed from 285 west, and I really needed to only go 1.5 miles over very dry interstate, but the cop just wouldn't let me. So I had to wind my set of doubles over 5 miles of narrow and curvy 2 lane. I am so glad my blood pressure pills work really well.
I hope that I-20 will be open tonight.
It is open.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Only 158 loads today.....11:30 start 3:20 down time.....10:15 start tommorrow probably well over 200 loads....Glad yall are safe up there