Atlanta Smart Hub

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
They have been doing an addition to the building I retired from adding I think 4 more belts for package cars. So I talked to some guys from my old building yesterday and in the construction there was going to be three air fingers I guess you’d call them. They back the air trailers in beside the belts to unload. So come to find out some brain surgeon screwed up something in the planning to connect the “1300” package car belt to the primary line and in doing so they had to block two of the three air doors. So needless to say after a $26 million addition they will still have to use “mothership” trailers to unload air lol! You can’t make this crap up.
I’ll take “things that don’t surprise me” for $1,000, Alex.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Weren’t you out of Forest Park? I think SMAGA is like maybe 30 minutes from FPAGA. I wonder if the smart hub took a lot of FP’s volume.
I was hired at the original Atlanta Hub on Marvin Miller Drive down the street from SMART and when I bid into package car Forest Park Center was there. I think it was 1991 that the Forest Park Hub was built and my Center was the first of three that moved there. At that time, JC Penney was the biggest shipper in the state with a catalog center nearby. Penny's moved that catalog center to Columbus, Ohio a few years later. We did lose a few routes and a night sort when SMART opened. SMART is closer to where I lived at that time but I was too close to retirement to change routes. I liked the residential route I worked for 24 years and retired on.
What’s the story of this so called “heritage bolder?”… and what’s up with the kid in the background photobombing your picture and blocking our beloved gold company shield???
I don't know what that "Heritage Boulder" deal is about. It is located at the front door of SMART and the Control Room is above it. The pedestrian bridge is called the "Heritage Bridge" and has another smaller boulder near the guard shack end. That bridge must be a treat to walk across during thunderstorms or windy winter days.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Where are the gas pumps ?
I think that is the automotive shop in the very back with fuel pumps in front of that. I think they use mostly CNG in most of their vehicles there. I'm guessing about 400 package cars and 400 feeders runs with 1.3 million square feet of floor space. There were people riding bicycles around in the building. I didn't venture that far back into the property.