Attaining senority as a part timer

PSlocal63

I work as a package handler. My hire date is January 7 2013. I was wondering what classifies attaining senority? Since in the new contract wage increases are only for those who attained senority before august 1 2013. Nothing in my local supplement states anything about part time senority. Will I get the retro .70cent raise ? I noticed only 50cents was added this week not the expected .70cents.

J

jibbs

You don't get the 70 unless you gained seniority prior to August 1, 2013.

Everyone I've spoken with at my center (4 guys) have only received a $0.50 wage increase, and we all had seniority as of 8/1/2013. We were all under the impression the raise would be $1/hr, but I'm not surprised we were misinformed...

upschuck

Everyone I've spoken with at my center (4 guys) have only received a $0.50 wage increase, and we all had seniority as of 8/1/2013. We were all under the impression the raise would be $1/hr, but I'm not surprised we were misinformed...
Did you guys get another raise between Aug 1 and Apr. The 50¢ is probably the difference between the old progression and the new progression Say seniority is Sept 2, 70¢ raise to that time, another raise to $10.50 til late Apr, then the new progression raise of 50¢. You should get another raise Aug of 70¢. Without knowing specifics, that the best answer I can give.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
This is what señority looks like.
vaquero-helldorado-tombstone-arizona-21761674.jpg

I assume that you are asking about seniority.

PSlocal63

Did you guys get another raise between Aug 1 and Apr. The 50¢ is probably the difference between the old progression and the new progression Say seniority is Sept 2, 70¢ raise to that time, another raise to $10.50 til late Apr, then the new progression raise of 50¢. You should get another raise Aug of 70¢. Without knowing specifics, that the best answer I can give.
Too many grey areas with this new wage increase. I was at 9.50 on August 1. I then passed skill pay test so I was at 10.50. Still without the 70cents and on my anniversary date I received a 50cents Jan 7. So from what I understood the old contract conflicted with the new one making my raise less I'm short 20 cents however you look at it .

Oak

It's actually spelled out in black and white in the contract changes. I hope you read the changes before you voted, as everyone should.

Your retro check will include the 70 cents from Aug 1 until your anniversary date, then twenty cents (because you already got 50 cents on Jan 7) until your last raise. Your last raise was to bring you up to the new progression rate.

Had the contract went into effect on Aug 1 you would have received a 30 cent raise in Jan.

You will get 70 cents on Aug 1, 2014, then an additional 30 cents on Jan 7, 2015.

PSlocal63

It's actually spelled out in black and white in the contract changes. I hope you read the changes before you voted, as everyone should.

Your retro check will include the 70 cents from Aug 1 until your anniversary date, then twenty cents (because you already got 50 cents on Jan 7) until your last raise. Your last raise was to bring you up to the new progression rate.

Had the contract went into effect on Aug 1 you would have received a 30 cent raise in Jan.

You will get 70 cents on Aug 1, 2014, then an additional 30 cents on Jan 7, 2015.
Thanks that's probably the best explaination I've received. No body knows anything at my small hub. Also I did read the contract before I voted. I think it lacks certain language when it comes to the wage increase. It does not state anything about old progression conflicting with new raise rates. At least not for part timers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hearing 4 different things and not sure which one is accurate? Nooo...not at ups! That's a shocker...lol

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I did recieve a .50 cent raise on my anniversary date jan 7. But why would that even happen if it was from an old contract?

We were under an extension of the '08-'13 contract, which means you were under THAT progression. If you attained seniority prior to Aug. 1 2013, you receive the General Wage Increases and are also entitled to no less than your "old" progression.

J

jibbs

Nope, I was at 11/hr since early September 2013 (oh smile*, I guess that is a raise between Aug1 and Apr... but mine was part of my progression, though, or so I thought) and it changed to 11.50/hr the week the contract was pushed through. I should be at 12 in a few more months, though, so I'm not too worried about it-- it's just got me skeptical about what this retro check's gonna look like.

upschuck

Nope, I was at 11/hr since early September 2013 (oh smile*, I guess that is a raise between Aug1 and Apr... but mine was part of my progression, though, or so I thought) and it changed to 11.50/hr the week the contract was pushed through. I should be at 12 in a few more months, though, so I'm not too worried about it-- it's just got me skeptical about what this retro check's gonna look like.
You didn't see the aug raise, that should be retro. You should also get the difference between that raise and what it bumped up to last week. You should get another raise Aug 1.

QualityLoads

I was bumped up from 9.50/hr to 11/hr last week (+1.50/hr difference, yesterday was my seniority date) Still havent gotten a definitive answer on whether or not I will receive a retro check.

PSlocal63

Ok what I'm not understanding is that new hires are at 11.00 an hr skill pay witch I've already earned. Yet I don't recieve the full 70 cent raise from august ? I'm being shorted 20cents however you look at it .

upschuck

Ok what I'm not understanding is that new hires are at 11.00 an hr skill pay witch I've already earned. Yet I don't recieve the full 70 cent raise from august ? I'm being shorted 20cents however you look at it .
This should be your pay
Jan 7 2013. 9.50
About Apr 7 10.50
Aug 1 11.20 all retro
Jan 7. 2014. 11.00 paid raise since before you were making 10.50
Contract ratification. 11.50

You will get 70 cents retro from aug 1 to jan 7, and 50 cents retro from Jan7 to late Apr.