Attention abused Express drivers

thedownhillEXPRESS

In case you don't all get a chance to read through every single thread,here is a brief summary on what Fedex is doing to slap you across the face this peak.
For one,in many locations the Temp workers are being paid twenty dollars an hour,yes that's in some cases significantly more than many 5-10 year employees.
Also be aware that some stations have been magically given a 15 percent holiday pay increase while others have gotten nothing with zero explanation.
Please feel free to put your lying senior on the spot at your morning meetings.
Others can add what other disastrous employee relations stunts Fedex is pulling.

DRAisawesome

Bottom line it is shady. I hate to say it but Been going on for years. Not going to stop until there is more of a way of checks and balance. This is "Express"

hypo hanna

Add to the list; training of new hires cut to 3 days. Meaning if you drive a neighboring route, work will be shifted to you until he is up to speed. Also since he was not sufficiently trained, its more likely he will quit sooner starting the process all over again. The revolving door isn't just bad for customers and HR.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In case you don't all get a chance to read through every single thread,here is a brief summary on what Fedex is doing to slap you across the face this peak.
For one,in many locations the Temp workers are being paid twenty dollars an hour,yes that's in some cases significantly more than many 5-10 year employees.
Also be aware that some stations have been magically given a 15 percent holiday pay increase while others have gotten nothing with zero explanation.
Please feel free to put your lying senior on the spot at your morning meetings.
Others can add what other disastrous employee relations stunts Fedex is pulling.
My biggest complaint is that the typically marginal couriers who get promoted to manager, then can't hack it and step back down to courier, are topped out immediately, regardless of years of service. Explanation, anyone?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My biggest complaint is that the typically marginal couriers who get promoted to manager, then can't hack it and step back down to courier, are topped out immediately, regardless of years of service. Explanation, anyone?
I'm not real tolerant of managers who previously couldn't hack being a courier then be promoted then try to tell us how to do our jobs.

Artee

You have to be in management 2 years before you can step down to courier and get top pay.

gixxer squid

I'm not real tolerant of managers who previously couldn't hack being a courier then be promoted then try to tell us how to do our jobs.

Seriously, I doubt any of our current managers with 2 weeks of training on the route could pull off a minimum of 100 stops a day. Throw in a late truck like happened today and doors open at 9;30..... LMFAO Would never happen. If they actually could or would do it I guarantee they would have a new found respect for us couriers and cut us some slack. Its easy to sit in the office and bark orders and ask why you were late, why you didn't reattempt delivery blah blah blah. I wanna say, "hey Mother friend*ker" Jump in my seat and then we can talk when you bring back 20 DNA

hypo hanna

.... I wanna say, "hey Mother friend*ker" Jump in my seat and then we can talk when you bring back 20 DNA
More drivers need to do just that. Tell the manager calmly, (without the MOther friend@#% part), that he must know something you don't and you need him to demonstrate how to run the route and hit the numbers that he and the engineers set. If at all possible, challenge him in front of other drivers.
Spend the rest of the day sitting in the passenger seat writing down notes on everything he did wrong. Only one manager ever took me up on the challenge and he failed miserably.

bbsam

Staff member
More drivers need to do just that. Tell the manager calmly, (without the MOther friend@#% part), that he must know something you don't and you need him to demonstrate how to run the route and hit the numbers that he and the engineers set. If at all possible, challenge him in front of other drivers.
Spend the rest of the day sitting in the passenger seat writing down notes on everything he did wrong. Only one manager ever took me up on the challenge and he failed miserably.
But you aren't supposed to hit those numbers. Pittsburgh and Memphis are fully aware of their fictional nature. If you reach their goals, by definition the bar was set too low.

hypo hanna

But you aren't supposed to hit those numbers. Pittsburgh and Memphis are fully aware of their fictional nature. If you reach their goals, by definition the bar was set too low.
Then they should stop disciplining the drivers for failing to meet fictional goals. Or do you approve of such an unethical practice?

vantexan

If they tell us the numbers are obtainable then they should be willing to demonstrate it. I got wrote up recently for the 2nd time in the 4 months I've been here for hitting 91% even though I only worked 37 hrs. I'd have to drive on breaks and get paid the 35 hr guarantee, which wouldn't make them happy either, in order to hit the 95% minimum. 3 weeks before I got here the major area employer laid off 2000 contractors who were here 2 years doing various projects. The route dropped at least 20 stops a day so went from decent OT to less than 40 hrs most weeks. When you bring home less than $450 a week and mgr starts telling you you've got to do better it really PO's you.

Artee

You have to be a courier 30+ years to do the same.

I was correcting the information given and not disputing how long it takes to top out. You cannot start FDX as a handler and move into management a year later. Decide after a year its not for you and you step down to be a courier. You don't go in at top of range at that point. You will need to spend at least 2 years in management. So it is not regardless of years of service. Maybe years of service if you spent your whole career as a courier, but not in other positions within the company.

gixxer squid

The drivers are never addressed. Either us or the BC is pulled into the office and reprimanded.

Management I am certain has the same frustrations as us, Memphis is on there ass, they are in ours and we on the drivers. I occasionally drive so I have what I feel is a much better understanding of what we bottom feeders must endure on a day to day basis

Bottom line, it's never going to be a fair system but we strive to make the best of a bad situation. With profit margins so small, they expect us to have an extra driver just sitting around waiting to be utilized. Well hey, that cost us 3k a month, there goes my slim profit. I am in business to make money, not break even. I believe this is why the shift to HD and ground is underway. It's not fedexs problem now for excess payroll, it's the contractors!!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I did that with my manager and he backed down very quickly. We would have been out there for 18 hours if he had to do the route.

bbsam

Staff member
Then they should stop disciplining the drivers for failing to meet fictional goals. Or do you approve of such an unethical practice?
Of course I don't agree with it. I tend to ignore such business discussions (as they are called at Ground ).