Automated Sorting/Layoffs On Topic

Cyclops

For those of you in hubs that have switched from manual sorting done by humans to high-speed, automated sorting, how did this job effect the employment of the workers that the automation replaced? Were there layoffs?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They just installed a new $7M system in my Hub, they are still working the bugs out. They still have to have people feed the belts and change the bags. I imagine that isn't a skilled sorter position and less people will be needed.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I doubt they work as well as they look.
I think we have an automated small sort, but all it does is put 'no-read' stickers on more than half of the boxes. I enjoy using them as an excuse to load by address like a real human boy.

The Driver

I drive.
We just got one and all it does is break down. Then they send all the smalls to the slides

23FB1BA1-A1EA-4D33-885B-6BB61B9D9D2D.jpeg

“B-b-b-but technology!

polyp

They just built a second hub in the area. Needed it to match the new Amazon buildings, and as a bonus the new building would pick up some of the slack while they shut down and automate the old hub in phases. Can't get the new building working right (or staffed), but we're plowing ahead and shutting down the first area in the old building next month.

Should be fun.

Staydryitsraining

They just built a second hub in the area. Needed it to match the new Amazon buildings, and as a bonus the new building would pick up some of the slack while they shut down and automate the old hub in phases. Can't get the new building working right (or staffed), but we're plowing ahead and shutting down the first area in the old building next month.

Should be fun.
They are about to do the same where im at although i dont think amazon had anything to do with us.