Automation Fails

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I'm trying to get a larger perspective on the company's attempts at introducing automation in hubs. At least in my building...

• We have three Rubus doors. I haven't seen them used in ages. Too many problems with it, I guess, unless there was some Union thing I'm not aware of.
  • They brought in these "Clearpath" robotic irreg carts. If rumor is correct, one of them hit a worker, and they've all been collecting massive dust ever since.
  • We have a giant robotic arm with suction cups that's supposed to unload pallets. As with Rubus, hasn't been used.
  • We still actively use a gaylord dumper for smalls, but it's only as good as Amazon's ability to put just smalls in the gaylords.
  • Our automatic sorters work most of the time. The tenders are the under-appreciated backbone of the entire operation.
Can we expect any improvement on these failures? Are these failures happening at other buildings as well?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm trying to get a larger perspective on the company's attempts at introducing automation in hubs. At least in my building...

• We have three Rubus doors. I haven't seen them used in ages. Too many problems with it, I guess, unless there was some Union thing I'm not aware of.
  • They brought in these "Clearpath" robotic irreg carts. If rumor is correct, one of them hit a worker, and they've all been collecting massive dust ever since.
  • We have a giant robotic arm with suction cups that's supposed to unload pallets. As with Rubus, hasn't been used.
  • We still actively use a gaylord dumper for smalls, but it's only as good as Amazon's ability to put just smalls in the gaylords.
  • Our automatic sorters work most of the time. The tenders are the under-appreciated backbone of the entire operation.
Can we expect any improvement on these failures? Are these failures happening at other buildings as well?
Who controls the robotic irregg carts?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Really the only broadly successful automation is the smalls tilt table, which allows for a small team of people (who are mostly on light duty) to process ~20-25 thousand smalls into sorted bags. Issue is, They sort by workload rather than assignment however, and we could really hammer out smalls if the tilt tray could fill bags car-for-car.
I would imagine a power-assisted irreg cart would help a lot if they could also latch onto the irreg trains. Ones that are incompatable with the train would only be a minor assist.
And I don't know what a rubus door is.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
DE59DF1C-0E3F-42AA-8679-897B441B7802.gif
Who controls the robotic irregg carts?

john chesney

After they spent probably a billion on implementing Orion I have lost all hope in Ups technology.One thing I can tell you is no matter how big of a flop it is they’ll never admit it or reverse course

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you gonna drop by the center occasionally and visit your homies and make sure the ship is still afloat?

I am moving 2.5 hours away to be closer to my daughter and her family.

Just in time because this place is going to be the death of me. Everyday I look at these young drivers and think how in the hell are they going to make it 30 years the way this place has become

This is no longer a 30 year job.

Clean the recyclables out of trash cans?

I hope that it won't come down to that.