Automation, the future and the American worker (ON TOPIC)

PhatPattheRiverRat

I know this has been posted ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but I think this is a topic that warrants serious discussion. The perpetual cry of "we will be replaced by machines and automated package sorters holy bleep" seems to rouse two main types of responses:

1. Yeah, we're all screwed and it is going to happen sooner than you think, so I'm damn happy I have put in my ___ years and will be getting out soon good luck youngins. -OR-

2. The technology may be here someday soon, but the acceptance, adoption and regulation on a fullscale basis will make it harder to implement. There would probably be widespread paycuts before job losses.

I tend to fall in the second camp. I'm 33, no kids, a hot girlfriend, haven't even started driving. There are two things I am doing to prepare for the future: I am living like 50k a year is the most I will ever make (in case there are paycuts), and if I make more that's great, I'll sock all excess cash into retirement. I am also additionally taking computer science courses at night and online, maybe one a semester, with a focus on robotics (C language, low-level stuff). Adapt or die, and all that fun stuff.

So maybe this is all for naught. Perhaps none of this will become a factor in my career. The fact is, I feel there will always be a human element involved in Package car driving. Feeders, well I don't know enough about em to say. So what are your opinions? What are you doing (if anything) to prepare in case the future brings widespread changes?

purehavanne

You’re already on the right track. Just don’t have kids and you won’t have anything to worry about. Also, don’t marry your hot girlfriend without a prenup that says she gets NONE of your pension.

rickyb

I know this has been posted ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but I think this is a topic that warrants serious discussion. The perpetual cry of "we will be replaced by machines and automated package sorters holy bleep" seems to rouse two main types of responses:

1. Yeah, we're all screwed and it is going to happen sooner than you think, so I'm damn happy I have put in my ___ years and will be getting out soon good luck youngins. -OR-

2. The technology may be here someday soon, but the acceptance, adoption and regulation on a fullscale basis will make it harder to implement. There would probably be widespread paycuts before job losses.

I tend to fall in the second camp. I'm 33, no kids, a hot girlfriend, haven't even started driving. There are two things I am doing to prepare for the future: I am living like 50k a year is the most I will ever make (in case there are paycuts), and if I make more that's great, I'll sock all excess cash into retirement. I am also additionally taking computer science courses at night and online, maybe one a semester, with a focus on robotics (C language, low-level stuff). Adapt or die, and all that fun stuff.

So maybe this is all for naught. Perhaps none of this will become a factor in my career. The fact is, I feel there will always be a human element involved in Package car driving. Feeders, well I don't know enough about em to say. So what are your opinions? What are you doing (if anything) to prepare in case the future brings widespread changes?
consumerism doesnt make people that happy anyways. its a superficial short term happiness.

the people who own the jobs will benefit from automation and the workers will suffer if nothing else changes. were actually approaching a point where the system cant go on because so many jobs are being automated like trucking.

a dog may be better than kids. just have 1 kid, dont have 2; it was 1 too many in my case.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No need to worry about robots taking over , as long as the MGT of UPS stays as it is .
Look at all the great innovations of the past decade or so .
See how they have improved your work days and relax .
If there is a way for MGT to screw things up , those poor robots will self implode .

jaker

trolling
Full Automation is the driving world is a good distance away , full automation in warehouse and assembly line with be here before you know it and is at some places

I be more worried when they actually make a robot that does the human job

Indecisi0n

You old guys are so paranoid.

Brownbrigade1

You old guys are so paranoid.

I agree