Avatars----personal property or freely used by anyone?

Are avatars personal property or can they freely be used by anyone?

• Total voters

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
...who can't help subconsciously imagining other users as their avatar pic? Anything IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U posts I can't help but picture Gumby saying it. And Upstate, I'm sorry but you are a cat in my mind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the thread "Finally...." a new member selected an avatar that has been used exclusively by a senior member since 2007. The newbie meant no harm but the senior member took offense to the point where he demanded the newbie find a new avatar. The newbie at first thought that he was joking but when he realized that he wasn't he quickly found a new avatar, which is basically a different image of the same person.

This brings up the question as to whether avatars are considered to be personal property or whether they can be freely used by anyone.

What do you think?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That's nice.

You didn't answer the question.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442361205.555687.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
A few months ago several people started using other people's avatars to joke around. They got cheryl smacked for doing it so respecting avatars has been unwritten rule.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In the thread "Finally...." a new member selected an avatar that has been used exclusively by a senior member since 2007. The newbie meant no harm but the senior member took offense to the point where he demanded the newbie find a new avatar. The newbie at first thought that he was joking but when he realized that he wasn't he quickly found a new avatar, which is basically a different image of the same person.

This brings up the question as to whether avatars are considered to be personal property or whether they can be freely used by anyone.

What do you think?
Well, Dave....you practically had a S* fit when I borrowed a mirror image of your Rowdy avatar (courtesy of cachsux) last year...lol. How can any image that a person posts on the internet (unless copyrighted) still be considered personal property?? As long as someone is not stealing your identity....personal pics posted for anyone to see should be fair game.....especialy to make memes. 8-)