Average preload sort/shift hours

Tha_Flame

I've been on my reload shift since 2006. Long story short, I pretty much make the same amount of $$ week to week now since I started almost ten years ago.. Not complaining since I love my job, but now with my family I need more hours. I'm around #CLE and I only get 15hrs a week loading/sorting etc but I'd like to know if someone around here can give a ballpark figure as to how many hours an unloader on the preload shift gets.. Im aware of the 3.5 we're supposed to get but my shift doesn't seem to have more than 17hrs a week.. Is it the same way with the preload shift or is it more/less.. Thanks

It varies. I'm almost guaranteed a full 20 hours a week on the dot if I play my cards right and get at least 3.5 – 4 hours a day.

Tha_Flame

It's been awhile since I got 20, mainly during peak nowadays.. I mean yeah I could scavenge around the bldg & bump all sorts of ppl, but I'd like to work my own hours.
Do you just get to work that or do you have to go and keep bumping ppl out till you get your 4 hrs?

Tha_Flame

Have you asked about the possibility of double shifting (working both the preload and metro)?

Our bldg really only has that available during peak, & if I get a 2nd job during the day (when my wife works) I'd still be in the same place. Paying for childcare & gas adds up. Working overnight saves us from that so baby can stay home with mom.. Plus our 2nd car engine just died a few weeks ago :annoyed2:..
Looks like preload is my only option, thanks for the input people

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've been on my reload shift since 2006. Long story short, I pretty much make the same amount of $$ week to week now since I started almost ten years ago.. Not complaining since I love my job, but now with my family I need more hours. I'm around #CLE and I only get 15hrs a week loading/sorting etc but I'd like to know if someone around here can give a ballpark figure as to how many hours an unloader on the preload shift gets.. Im aware of the 3.5 we're supposed to get but my shift doesn't seem to have more than 17hrs a week.. Is it the same way with the preload shift or is it more/less.. Thanks

If you're getting less than 17.5 hours/week, it's on you to demand your daily guarantee. Management has to find work for you to do in order to fulfill your guarantee. Typically, unloaders actually get less hours (speaking from experience in a hub and not on a preload/preload) as there isn't much clean-up/wrap-up.

browner89

If you're getting less than 17.5 hours/week, it's on you to demand your daily guarantee. Management has to find work for you to do in order to fulfill your guarantee. Typically, unloaders actually get less hours (speaking from experience in a hub and not on a preload/preload) as there isn't much clean-up/wrap-up.

I've never had a chance to use the 3.5 hr guarantee, but what if there is no work after say 2.5hrs and the sort is done for the day, do you still get paid even if they can't find somewhere for you to sweep or a trailor to load?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've never had a chance to use the 3.5 hr guarantee, but what if there is no work after say 2.5hrs and the sort is done for the day, do you still get paid even if they can't find somewhere for you to sweep or a trailor to load?

You have to request it. You can't punch out early, file a grievance for the remainder, and then hope you get paid. That being said, if you are requesting your guarantee and are being denied then you absolutely need to file a grievance. A PT'er is always guaranteed their 3.5/day unless they receive notice of layoff, report to work late, or there's some sort of emergency conditions/Act of God.

I can almost guarantee that you won't simply be paid the balance of your 3.5 hours -- they'll find something to do, whether its CHSP quizzes, random paper work, sweeping floors, etc.

Tha_Flame

Damn, thats such a short sort, are you there from start to finish daily? I have trouble getting under 24 hours/wk on my local sort.

Yeah pretty much. If I went around my bldg AFTER im done with my stuff I could get maybe another 10 mins. per day.. I'll just say 20 mins, but that's still only another hour n half a week. I get it, I should get my 3.5 minimal per work day but that's still only 17.5 per week. If the preload got 20hrs wk that'd be worth switching right? I'm comfortable with the ppl & management on my shift (no issues there) but that extra 2.5hrs would almost be like working assn extra day in my case

It sucks they don't "allow" double shifting cause that'd solve all my issues. I'd love doing that, but I guess they wouldn't be able to create jobs like that

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Yeah pretty much. If I went around my bldg AFTER im done with my stuff I could get maybe another 10 mins. per day.. I'll just say 20 mins, but that's still only another hour n half a week. I get it, I should get my 3.5 minimal per work day but that's still only 17.5 per week. If the preload got 20hrs wk that'd be worth switching right? I'm comfortable with the ppl & management on my shift (no issues there) but that extra 2.5hrs would almost be like working assn extra day in my case

It sucks they don't "allow" double shifting cause that'd solve all my issues. I'd love doing that, but I guess they wouldn't be able to create jobs like that

You stated earlier that you average 15 hours/week. But if you insisted on your 3.5/day, then you'd get that "extra day" when you hit 17.5/week. That 10-20 minutes/day seriously adds up when you're making over $15/hour.

Tha_Flame

You stated earlier that you average 15 hours/week. But if you insisted on your 3.5/day, then you'd get that "extra day" when you hit 17.5/week. That 10-20 minutes/day seriously adds up when you're making over $15/hour.
I get it, but when I first started I never really had ppl "bump" me out. I mean the way I see it, those younger guys need as much as they can get too.. I just wish my sort had 20hrs across the board for everyone, equally.. That's what I meant by asking for too much.. I only did 2days on preload last peak so I didn't get a chance to see if they have more work to be done on that shift. I saw on the agreement they start off with more $$ so I thought it was cause more work was there

browner89

I get it, but when I first started I never really had ppl "bump" me out. I mean the way I see it, those younger guys need as much as they can get too.. I just wish my sort had 20hrs across the board for everyone, equally.. That's what I meant by asking for too much.. I only did 2days on preload last peak so I didn't get a chance to see if they have more work to be done on that shift. I saw on the agreement they start off with more $$ so I thought it was cause more work was there
More $$ cause preload is considered skilled. An extra $1/hr.

On average at my preload I get exactly 25 hours a week..these past 2 weeks however I've logged in 30 and 31 hours which honestly isn't that rare, but it's really tiring

TapeItUp

At the very least request your 3.5. I had a supervisor tell me there wasn't enough work and send me home early. Got a steward involved and he was singing a different tune the next day. It's worth not getting a short check week after week. They can find you something. Sweep, clean trucks out, wash windows etc. Or request to double shift but that only works when they are desperate and usually doesn't last long. Here local sort its 17.5 / 18.00 a week usually. Preload its 22 hours a week. It's roughly a 50.00 difference switching, ask someone that knows in your building for sure, it varies from place to place. If you don't mind getting up early it could be worth it to switch shifts.

Last edited: