Average time it takes to become full time?

Zowert

Two and a half years is the average (nationwide) for P/T Handlers moving on to driving. Of course that’s just the average, it varies depending on location as mentioned before. Start bidding on every FT job that comes up. Are there 22.4s at your center? That could be your ticket to RPCD in a couple more years.

You’re gonna have to pass a road test to get into driving, so learn how to drive a manual transmission if you don’t already. Then you’ll have to make it through a week of training where they test you in class and on road. Once you’re through that you get 30 days to not friend up, make book on a training route and hope they don’t DQ you for something trivial. Not hard but not easy either.

Last edited:

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Right now you can become full time as there are many people retiring and drivers moving up to feeder. The boom will stop and it will be a long wait again.

Emmit23

Full time since day 1, no PT workers in automotive or PE.

Lol.. might be quicker to convince Ryder or a company like that to let you work on their equipment for a few years to get some experience then apply to be a mechanic.

Our progression is 2 years, we now start mechanics at like 31 or so and top out a little over driver rate. However, we get a lot less overtime than the drivers get.
Hi! What’s the best way to become a trailer mechanic with no experience? Also go to Ryder or something? I always see listings for ups mechanic jobs.

D

Deleted member 77202

We just added 5 off the street feeders. One of them was bitching to me how he has to unload, despite being fulltime at the ripe age of 22. I wish I could slap him so :censored2:ing hard.

Bro, you have no idea how long people had to do this :censored2: just to get a shot at feeders.

I hear ya and totally agree!

It grinds my gears when I see brand new employees -- especially those under the age of 25 -- NOT unloading feeder trucks!

Just wanna scream at the supervisor and say, "Why on Earth aren't these new hires unloading? For Pete's sake, this time last year, they were deciding what to wear to their senior prom!"

Everyone should have to get their UPS feet wet by unloading!

D

Deleted member 77202

I've seen it take 5+ years and then I've seen people preload for 2 weeks and get to go driving. All depends on the current needs of the company.
Yes, I've seen that happen where I'm at too. You just never know.
Make sure you make it known that you wanna drive, and you just might get lucky.

542thruNthru

You're welcome

AW354844_02.gif

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Hi! What’s the best way to become a trailer mechanic with no experience? Also go to Ryder or something? I always see listings for ups mechanic jobs.

Yeah, find someone that will let you get some experience, get some tools etc. then after a few years keep looking. It’s easier to get hired with only a few years experience as a trailer mechanic and then bid a power job later since you will have first shot before it goes out to the street. I have not seen anybody get hired with less than 5 years experience in the power shop off the street. Most of us had at least 10 years experience before we got hired.

Box_loads

Well weirdly enough (since I recently made this thread) last week I was given a paper by my ft supervisor saying to contact HR for a full time driving position. Just passed my road test Friday, and have the precourse papers for integrad. I’ve been studying my 5s and 10s and have to work on backing in more, but does anyone have any advice/tips moving forward?

Emmit23

Yeah, find someone that will let you get some experience, get some tools etc. then after a few years keep looking. It’s easier to get hired with only a few years experience as a trailer mechanic and then bid a power job later since you will have first shot before it goes out to the street. I have not seen anybody get hired with less than 5 years experience in the power shop off the street. Most of us had at least 10 years experience before we got hired.
What’s the advantage of going to a power job? Must be hard as hell to take those trucks apart then put them back together. I would have extra/left over parts lol!