Awkward encounters with people on your route

medilook

I find it kind of awkward when I see and deliver packages to the same person on my route, but don't really talk to them. For instance, like delivering packages to a school, i always see the same recpetionist at the front and i always just say "hi" and "I'll leave the packages in the back counter, but i never have any type of conversation with her. I been delivering there for almost a year and i still feel like we're strangers and it gets pretty awkward. Same goes with small business owners who i encounter everyday at work.

Do you guys understand what I'm talking about? Is it just me or am I lacking some serioius people skills? This is part of the reason why I want to be a tractor driver as opposed to a package deliverer.

U

uber

So now your a driver? In past posts you were asking if you could work UPS and the post office at the same time... Hmmmmm...

brownrod

Do you guys understand what I'm talking about? Is it just me or am I lacking some serioius people skills? This is part of the reason why I want to be a tractor driver as opposed to a package deliverer.

I did my training route for 6 months before I started learning new areas. 5 people bothered to ask me my name in that time.

I love being an unknown on new routes. No one can waste my time with conversation. It's easy to get in and out and never have to say an unnecessary word.

65Goat

Monday, I was delivering to a rural stop. I pull up to the house, do a drivers side back and park in a chatted area in the yard about 50 feet from the house. I stop the car, open the bulk-head door and take the package out. I start up the front steps to leave the pkg on the front porch when suddenly I hear a door slam in the garage. I then turn around as to meet the customer in the garage. As I am walking toward the gagage I see a "buck" naked woman "bounding" across the garage. I immediately realize this could be an incredibly awkward meeting, so I start back toward the front porch. I then heard a gasp come from the garage area and the door slam again. I continue to the porch and leave the package. A moment later the lady comes to the front door in a t-shirt, gets the package and says "thank you so much" and I say "no, thank you so much". Is this the type of awkward situation you were looking for?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Awkward is when you look for 10 mins for a customers package and finally give up once you can't stand the heat anymore in the back. You then make your way to the front of the truck and move to the drivers seat only to see the customer waiting at your passenger door for thier said package. You then either tell them the truth that it's not on your truck, maybe on someone else's or you tell them a lie and say you don't have anything for them today. Either way it's awkward and embarrassing.

bigblu 2 you

Monday, I was delivering to a rural stop. I pull up to the house, do a drivers side back and park in a chatted area in the yard about 50 feet from the house. I stop the car, open the bulk-head door and take the package out. I start up the front steps to leave the pkg on the front porch when suddenly I hear a door slam in the garage. I then turn around as to meet the customer in the garage. As I am walking toward the gagage I see a "buck" naked woman "bounding" across the garage. I immediately realize this could be an incredibly awkward meeting, so I start back toward the front porch. I then heard a gasp come from the garage area and the door slam again. I continue to the porch and leave the package. A moment later the lady comes to the front door in a t-shirt, gets the package and says "thank you so much" and I say "no, thank you so much". Is this the type of awkward situation you were looking for?
its only awkward if you dont get a phone number....just sayin.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I take the first week on any new route and feel the people out. After that I can usually judge on what I can talk to who about or if I am going to have to work at cracking their hard shell. I'm a people person and no matter what UPS says, customer service still matters.

old levi's

blank space
I did my training route for 6 months before I started learning new areas. 5 people bothered to ask me my name in that time.

I love being an unknown on new routes. No one can waste my time with conversation. It's easy to get in and out and never have to say an unnecessary word.

Ah yes, the old in and out. And no talking.

old levi's

blank space
I hate it when you walk into the garage and are putting the pkg. down when they just happen to come out the door from the house not knowing you are there. It's like that scene from the movie ET.
:surprised: scream :surprised:scream

S

speeddemon

Walking up on a woman sunbathing nude. Its signature required, and she has her earbuds in....ummmmm....

Packmule

Most of my customer contact conversations are related to my being the weather channel. IE: if the UPS man is wet, it's raining. If the UPS man is covered in white stuff, it's snowing. If I can't see you because my glasses are fogged up, that means it's cold out there. And my favorite, if UPS man had a full head of hair yesterday, but is bald today, it probably means it's windy. Point is, try a touch of humor--just keep it clean! Only takes a second or two to make them smile, but the rewards in terms of customers who appreciate their UPS man are pressed down and spilling over.

UPSGUY72

Awkward is when you look for 10 mins for a customers package and finally give up once you can't stand the heat anymore in the back. You then make your way to the front of the truck and move to the drivers seat only to see the customer waiting at your passenger door for thier said package. You then either tell them the truth that it's not on your truck, maybe on someone else's or you tell them a lie and say you don't have anything for them today. Either way it's awkward and embarrassing.

This is why I stop and sort my next 30 or so stops the 10 mins you waste looking for the package you could have sorted half your car and not have had that problem becasue you would have known that the package wasn't there.

yeldarb

This is why I stop and sort my next 30 or so stops the 10 mins you waste looking for the package you could have sorted half your car and not have had that problem becasue you would have known that the package wasn't there.

That is what I do, except I usually sort my entire truck after my business section is done. I will continue delivering, but as soon as I cant find my first package, I sort the whole truck. usually takes 15-20 minutes, but I make up the time by the end of the day, by no searching, and it saves me headaches from frustration...