baby bonding question

brownzmanz

new fulltime hire since peak and I don't qualify for FMLA till May and my girlfriends due date is coming next month I was looking to take a 2 weeks or so / maybe less just to give a hand for a few days. I was told a non paid vacation is my option but I was curious if that truly is. If you guys could give some advice on how I can handle this id appreciate it :D

when I called PCM to file a FMLA claim the lady mentioned I could do a Paid Family Leave through California EDD

Thoughts please?!
:confused2:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
new fulltime hire since peak and I don't qualify for FMLA till May and my girlfriends due date is coming next month I was looking to take a 2 weeks or so / maybe less just to give a hand for a few days. I was told a non paid vacation is my option but I was curious if that truly is. If you guys could give some advice on how I can handle this id appreciate it :D

when I called PCM to file a FMLA claim the lady mentioned I could do a Paid Family Leave through California EDD

Thoughts please?!
You can take FMLA after the baby is born, like not immediately after it's born. For instance, if you qualify for FMLA in May, but the baby is born in April, just wait til May to take it. I think you have up to 12 months after the birth for birth and bonding FMLA, you just have to take it consecutively. But it varies by state, and there are probably 12 other threads about this. Call HR, only they can answer you for your states conditions.

brownzmanz

You can take FMLA after the baby is born, like not immediately after it's born. For instance, if you qualify for FMLA in May, but the baby is born in April, just wait til May to take it. I think you have up to 12 months after the birth for birth and bonding FMLA, you just have to take it consecutively. But it varies by state, and there are probably 12 other threads about this. Call HR, only they can answer you for your states conditions.
Thanks man. Just wanted to know, wasn't planning on taking that much time but that is good to know thanks!

Cementups

Box Monkey
FMLA does NOT have to be take consecutively. You have 12 weeks available to use and you can take those one day at a time if you like for intermittent leave. This is not a state by state basis as FMLA is a federal law. So if at later dates you wan to take off for your kids appointments, the days would be available for that as well.

I took the whole day off for both my kids births.
Careful with those words, you get jerks in here who will tell you that you're not needed there and you should have taken off and they didn't miss any time for their child's birth. These same guys will tell you that your kids won't remember you missing their games and after school events nor will they care.

over9five

Staff member
Careful with those words, you get jerks in here who will tell you that you're not needed there and you should have taken off and they didn't miss any time for their child's birth. These same guys will tell you that your kids won't remember you missing their games and after school events nor will they care.

It was a different time back then. Men didn't take time off to bond.

MAKAVELI

Thoughts please?!
You may be eligible for paid leave depending on how long you have paid into SDI. This is different than the FMLA requirements. Here's a link for you.
Paid Family Leave - Fathers

watdaflock?

Thoughts please?!
Get married and you'll have less problems. Also, wrap that little willy next time. America doesn't need any more kids.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
FMLA does NOT have to be take consecutively. You have 12 weeks available to use and you can take those one day at a time if you like for intermittent leave. This is not a state by state basis as FMLA is a federal law. So if at later dates you wan to take off for your kids appointments, the days would be available for that as well.

FMLA is a federal law. State laws will not trump that.

1. An employee's entitlement to FMLA leave for birth and bonding expires 12 months after the date of birth. Both mothers and fathers have the same right to take FMLA leave for the birth of a child. Birth and bonding leave must be taken as a continuous block of leave unless the employer agrees to allow intermittent leave (e.g., allowing a parent to return to work on a part-time schedule for 10 weeks).

I'll just bold the part where it says that you DO have to take birth and bonding leave continuously.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28f.pdf

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They let me off half a day when my two sons were born, I was happy to be there.

I was on active duty when both of my kids were born. My immediate supervisor was quite lenient with the amount of time that I chose to take off. Her parents came down two weeks after each birth to help us out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Better yet, wait until December to stay home and play "Daddy".

Your co-workers will really appreciate this. :(