Baby on the way! What do I need? (On topic)

BrownArmy

First kid.

My wife will be induced next Thursday: assuming no major complications, we'll have a baby around the 23rd or 24th.

I'm a reader, so, I've read everything. We took a 'birthing class', etc. My mother is an OBGYN, my aunt is a nurse, so I get a lot of 'expert' advice.

I'm not interested in all that.

Tips and tricks?

What you should have packed in your hospital bag but didn't?

What your wife wanted during labor, but you didn't anticipate?

What you...

Etc.

I have ninety percent of this worked out, but I don't know what I don't know!

Tell me what I don't know...

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
If you are in the delivery room with her during labor and the tv is on, don't let her catch you watching it during a contraction. You will get the hell slapped out of you.
All joking aside, hope everything goes well and enjoy that baby!
Be patient with your wife afterwards, hormones do crazy things sometimes.
Don't let this job take away from too much time with your family. The 9.5 list is here for a reason.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Really just be there and be supportive.

My wife works with all of the nurses and doctors that were there so all I really had to do was hold her hand and say good job lol

At least in my wife's case when they broke her water was when :censored2: got serious pretty fast but she only had to push twice and we had a baby.

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
If she finds a somewhat comfortable position while in labor she'll want to stick with it for every contraction. So keep that in mind before you volunteer to sit behind her and rub her back or something. My poor ex-husband sat behind me for hours putting counter pressure on my back. He tried to take a break and have the nurse fill in. Not ok! Get your ass back here she's not strong enough I kept saying to him. Lol. By the end of it I think he was as tired as I was.

BrownArmy

This won't be a regular labor, in the sense of 'OH SNAP' it's happening.

Pitocin, etc.

J* will go in on Thursday night, drugs and artificial hormones will flow, and we might have a baby on the weekend.

There really is no equivalent procedure for males.

It's like if I tried to sht out a wheelbarrow...

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history

Pitocin, etc.

J* will go in on Thursday night, drugs and artificial hormones will flow, and we might have a baby on the weekend.

Pitocin sucks...don't tell her that tho, lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Pitocin, etc.

Don't think you're so set.

My wife was set to be induced Friday. She went into labor Thursday afternoon.

BrownArmy

Pitocin sucks...don't tell her that tho, lol

Oh, my wife knows, no doubt.

Our 'birth-team' knows all of that.

Instead of the old-school 'jackhammer' Pitocin process, it's going to be spread out over two or three days...

There's no getting around the fact that it's going to suck, one way or another.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh man! Don't even try to get ready. You won't get there anyway! But congrats. Absolutely greatest thing ever. Not a day goes by that I don't think how lucky I am to have my wife and kids and remember the day each was born. We started having kids a little later (I was 35, wife 31.). Sometimes I wish we'd started a little earlier and had a couple more.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
mWQKX.gif