Back Again as a Casual Driver (maybe)

MassWineGuy

The center I worked for during peak has openings for casual drivers. I applied and have an appointment next week. Maybe I'll even get to do some driving this time. I'm only familiar with UPS during peak, so I'm thinking other times of the year will be lighter by comparison. Especially after the 2013 peak.

UPSGUY72

The center I worked for during peak has openings for casual drivers. I applied and have an appointment next week. Maybe I'll even get to do some driving this time. I'm only familiar with UPS during peak, so I'm thinking other times of the year will be lighter by comparison. Especially after the 2013 peak.

How can you be back as a casual driver when you never driven for UPS before. Peak is pretty easy as a driver as you have a helper most of the time. The other 10 months you have to do all the work yourself and your package car still goes out stuffed to ceiling.....

MassWineGuy

Seasonal driver is what I was and what this would be. Retro check? When did the higher rate take effect and does it include seasonals?

MassWineGuy

That's true, but I was still rated as a seasonal driver and ended up riding along every day as sort of a high level helper. I still got paid as a seasonal driver. As far as I could learn at the time, the fact that I didn't get to drive had nothing to do with me. Perhaps I'll find out otherwise when I go in next week for the HR info session.

ajax25

I was a peak season driver this year and just got hired on full time off the street, just finished my 3 days of training (again) and ready to hit the road by myself (again).

Sent using BrownCafe App

MassWineGuy

Call it whatever, but I was a driver's helper being paid the seasonal driver rate. I don't think I'ds want to work as a regular fulltime driver because I'm 60. I would always get the absolute worst routes because of lack of seniority.

So what can anyone tell me about getting retro pay for last peak season?

MassWineGuy

You're still going to get the worst routes.
No doubt. But at least I'll know when the torture is scheduled to end.

Of the towns this center has, none are really terrible. Some routes have many more commerical stops. But it's still being out from behind a desk, earning (a little) money and interacting with others.

I don't yet know any details. So I'll make up my mnd after the little information session. A friend of mine who was a driver here for over 20 years and now is doing other things there told me that there's been a huge exodus of drivers at this center. He said that being a driver is getting to be worse so lots of folks are seeking alternative UPS jobs.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No doubt. But at least I'll know when the torture is scheduled to end.

Of the towns this center has, none are really terrible. Some routes have many more commerical stops. But it's still being out from behind a desk, earning (a little) money and interacting with others.

I don't yet know any details. So I'll make up my mnd after the little information session. A friend of mine who was a driver here for over 20 years and now is doing other things there told me that there's been a huge exodus of drivers at this center. He said that being a driver is getting to be worse so lots of folks are seeking alternative UPS jobs.
I'd prefer earning the money from behind a desk....with interacting with others being optional.

MassWineGuy

I guess if I asked they'd have to tell me. Somehow though, knowing how high up in the food chain seasonals are, I'm starting to doubt my chances.

MassWineGuy

I met my former sup while I was out shopping today. He said things are very busy for this time of the year. Busier than it has been in the past, and that there are quite a few openings for seasonals.

MassWineGuy

Well, word was that things "just didn't click" between them and me last peak. But today I was offered a permanent part-time job at the competition. The hours suit me fine.