Back door ROTH

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No , only on any gains. Thst was after tax money that he never got a deduction from.

A backdoor Roth IRA allows you to get around income limits by converting a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA. Contributing directly to a Roth IRA is limited if your income is beyond certain limits, but there are no income limits for conversions.

Roth IRA Conversion Taxes. When you convert from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA you pay income tax on the contributions. The taxable amount that is converted is added to your income taxes and your regular income rate is applied to your total income.

IRA Comparison - Roth vs Traditional IRA - Fidelity

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I listen to a lot of financial shows and they recommend that for many people.

I would definitely let someone handle that for you, so you don't make any mistakes.
My wife's group sold out to the hospital so now instead of 25k+ from the emoloyer going straight into her 401k tax free. she's going to get a bonus at the end of year.

Going to need to get a little creative.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A backdoor Roth IRA allows you to get around income limits by converting a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA. Contributing directly to a Roth IRA is limited if your income is beyond certain limits, but there are no income limits for conversions.

Roth IRA Conversion Taxes. When you convert from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA you pay income tax on the contributions. The taxable amount that is converted is added to your income taxes and your regular income rate is applied to your total income.

IRA Comparison - Roth vs Traditional IRA - Fidelity
Yes but we make too much to be eligible for the initial tax break of a traditional IRA.

So paying taxes is a moot point for us.