Back from my hunting trip

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Well I am back from the elk-hunting trip that I went on with 2 other drivers from my center. I am happy to say that we got one bull elk, a nice 5-pointer. I will post pics as soon as my friend emails them to me off of his digital camera.

I didnt shoot it, but I helped track it. Dont get your panties in a knot, Trickpony; the animal ran about 60 yards after being shot and was humanely harvested.

The fun part was getting it out. We were in a wilderness area where the roads were closed to motor vehicles. The elk died at the bottom of a canyon about 1/2 a mile below the road and 8 miles from the gate where we parked. We had to gut it, skin it, quarter it and pack it out on foot. It probably weighed 600 lbs on the hoof and was the size of a small horse. To get it out of the canyon, we had to load the quartered pieces onto packframes and climb up a hill on our hands and knees, in the dark. It was the most intense and exhausting experience I have ever been a part of; my friend shot it at 5:00 in the afternoon and we didnt get it back to camp until 2:30 AM....22 hours after getting out of bed and hiking in. Temps were in the low 20's and it was pitch black with no moon. We were too exhausted to hunt any more so we broke camp the next day and got it to the butcher yesterday. It weighed almost 300 lbs hanging and will make some exquisite steaks and burgers. We agreed to divide it equally since we all shared in the work of packing it out.

I have gained a new respect for the natives who hunted and harvested these animals for subsistence, using only hand made primitive bows and arrows.

During my own hunt, I saw at least 12 cow elk and calves, two of which got to within 10 yards of me. I could smell them, hear their breathing, and feel the vibration of their hooves hitting the ground as they ran. I passed up a shot at a spike bull because it was moving away and it would not have been ethical to take the shot for fear of only wounding it. I also saw numerous deer, grouse and other wildlife. We lived in a canvas wall tent for 6 days with no running water or modern ameneties; we went to bed at sunset, got up at 4:30 AM and hiked in 7 or 8 mles to the area we hunted in. It was an intense, primal experience that helped me appreciate what our ancestors had to do to survive, and what life is like without phones, internet, TV or all the phony, superficial trappings of modern society.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well I am back.... We lived in a canvas wall tent for 6 days with no running water or modern ameneties; It was an intense, primal experience that helped me appreciate ... what life is like without phones, internet, TV or all the phony, superficial trappings of modern society <such as baths>.

Perhaps you could help Mike Hawk come up with a solution for his BO problem in another post. <see below>

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/bo-problems.195632/

It was an intense, primal experience that helped me appreciate what our ancestors had to do to survive, and what life is like without phones, internet, TV or all the phony, superficial trappings of modern society.

To complete the experience you should have killed it with a rock or stick.
On the flip side I guess I can`t bitch about hauling in the groceries anymore.

soberups

Perhaps you could help Mike Hawk come up with a solution for his BO problem in another post. <see below>

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/bo-problems.195632/

Well I am a big fan of bathing daily...and there was a river nearby...but in order to bathe in it we would have had to first kick a hole through the ice and none of us felt like doing that.:biting:

I have to add this...it was worth it to deal with each other's body odor for a week in exchange for not having to listen to any more POLITICAL CAMPAIGN ADS on TV or radio.:happy-very: The politics of the world seem rather superficial when you hike 8 miles into a wilderness area at 430 AM and get to watch he sun come up over a hillside of pine and golden tamarack trees.

soberups

To complete the experience you should have killed it with a rock or stick.
On the flip side I guess I can`t bitch about hauling in the groceries anymore.

While our ancestors certainly did not have the advantage of scoped, high-powered rifles...they did have the advantage of a hunting season that lasted 365 days a year instead of 5. They also did not have to contend with bag limits; a cow or calf elk was just as good for feeding the tribe as a bull, and much easier to kill and butcher. They could also kill any deer, grouse, squirrel or other small game they came across, whereas my tag was good only for one bull elk and nothing else. And big bull elk dont get that way by being stupid and easy to hunt. The typical success rate for elk hunters in this particular unit is something like 3%. The vast majority go home empty handed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I got home last night from a weekend of opening duck/goose. Quite a bit a duck. Tasty, tasty duck.

[EVIL]
You're despicable!
[/EVIL]

daffy duck.jpg

Last edited:

LiL"Comet"

I have to add this...it was worth it to deal with each other's body odor for a week in exchange for not having to listen to any more POLITICAL CAMPAIGN ADS on TV or radio.:happy-very: The politics of the world seem rather superficial when you hike 8 miles into a wilderness area at 430 AM and get to watch he sun come up over a hillside of pine and golden tamarack trees.

I second that!!!!! Its almost over.....

Congrats to you and friends glad you guys had a safe and rewarding trip..:happy2:

barnyard

KTM rider
That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. The kind of trip that you will talk about when you are in the rocking chair and getting towards the end of days.

Thanks for sharing.

TB

haydendavid380

is property of UPS

Hmmm. Every morning I have to deal with other peoples body odor in exchange for the opportunity to work for UPS, and I have to trek 24 miles in a cold pick up truck at 3:30 AM and get to watch the sun come up over a parking lot full of feeder trailers and brown feeders.

photo.php

upsfeeder.jpg

Almost sounds like the same experience.
Not. :happy2:

soberups

Better load up on ammo. It's going to sky rocket now that BO is president.

I have been planning ahead on that one. My AK and SKS chew through ammo really fast, so I order 7.62x39 rounds for them by the 1000-round case. Anybody who owns a rifle or pistol with high-cap mags had also better think about stocking up on extra mags, because Queen Nancy Pelosi has a new Assault Weapons Ban cooking up and waiting for Obama to sign. Once that happens all the fun stuff will cost an arm and a leg.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We were just talking about this morning. We are going to load up on the guns too. They will take my guns from me when they pry my cold dead fingers from it. LOL

rushfan

To finish my collection of high cap magazines, I went to Cabellas today and bought 2 for my 9mm Ruger. A fun thing to do on my vacation.

rod

Retired 22 years

I predict that one week from Election Day that all banks will be closed and we will have troops in every major city marching in the streets----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(it's Veterans Day):peaceful: