Back in the 80's

Goldilocks

Smoking was allowed in the break room and on the sort. Our bumpers made a great place for a cig while pulling the belt.

We use to meet for lunch, managers and couriers, drink margaritas then finish our routes.

LOTS of Sex everywhere. Including the belt, the trucks, tables in the break room car wash. What else would they expect, with our Sex driven sayings like " Why full around with any one else and "get it twice a day". And don't get me started about Memphis. Remember when Fred left his wife and married his secretary?

Weed was everywhere. Once had a friend who smoked then ran a PM. Told me he thought the head lights of a truck were UFO's.

After the reload we would go to a nearby hooker motel, strip and jump in the pool for an evening swim.

The one thing that has really changed was if anyone had a late you were shunned. No one would speak to you. Service was everything. If someone was on the cusp of having a late we would all be on the radio, "what's your 20" and boom there would be 5 or more couriers to help make service.

Rewards, yes lots of money, ot and bonus checks profit sharing twice a year. Anywhere from 1000 to 5000. Parties, oh yea, Christmas at a down town hotels reserved rooms, open bar, prime rib, full buffet, comedians, live bands.

Jumps seat anywhere fedex planes flew, Memphis jump seat area looked like a terminal full of employees going everywhere, and this would be at 2am until the planes would take off. Everyone was very respectful of each other, because we loved this company. There wasn't anything we would not do for Federal Express.

DID FRED REALLY KNOW WHAT HE HAD? And just how devoted we were? I look at it now and it's no better than a Walmart or McDonald's. Lowest of the low.

I want to wish everyone the best and always follow your heart and soul. You are good people and work hard. Managers and above have destroyed this company with their greed for money, bonuses, ext. So sad. Did Fred really know what he had? We the front line employees were that " Golden Package" but he never saw it. Guess because the doe was rolling in.

Last edited:

BigTex61

I remember some drivers chopping up some coke on a managers desk and snorting when I first started. Dam they could run a route!

AMJ_SLAYER

Yeah so true. Back in the 80's my veins hAd so much heroin in them most doctors didn't even consider me to be a functioning human being. Lol whatever amiright?! Also I can't bang my gay boyfriend in the bathroom anymore without getting looks from people! What happened to this place? It used to be a fine respectable place until Fred "literally hitler" smith took away our unalienable rights to never have to be sober at the workplace.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
OK, I just remembered one thing from the '80s I don't miss - those gawdawful white shirts with the stoopid shoulder epaulets!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This company is a text book example of getting too big for one's britches. Federal Express/FedEx got way too corporate.

The rot must have set once the 90's were here. When I started in '92 it wasn't nearly the environment described in Goldi's post. I know what she's say is true because I've heard the same from a lot of others who started working there in the 80's. One guy told me back then he couldn't wait to get up and go to work the next day. What the hell happened?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah we have a few drivers who are stuck in the 80s. Some have the LAMO Super Mario moustache, pull their pants up to their titties with their shirts tucked in like a bunch of nerdballs, their Larry Bird short shorts and their Don Johnson hairdos lmfao. Dude its funny as hell cause if they only knew how retarded they look, sometimes I just wanna be like DUDE DO YOU KNOW HOW IDIOTIC YOU LOOK, ITS 2015 NOT 1985 JACKASCZZ lmfao. Im a lil old school over 40 n born in the early 70s so I can relate to the 80s but its just like man you gotta grow with the times. THIS AINT BACK TO THE FUTURE MOTHER BUCKER lol
200nnnnnn.gif

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember some drivers chopping up some coke on a managers desk and snorting when I first started. Dam they could run a route!

During my interview, the SM had a Courier-Pak full of hash sitting on his desk. It was in Saran Wrap, and he offered me some of it, which I refused. I'm assuming he either took it home or sold it. He was later busted for selling drugs taken out of residentials.

Friday nights, there was beer in plastic trash cans, and the managers smoked pot in the parking lot with employees. I can verify Goldi's stories about drinking at lunch with managers, who paid for the drinks. It's also true about the commitment to service and teamwork that was ever-present to get the job done. It's called esprit de corps, and there is none of it left.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It truly is mind-blowing just how much the atmosphere at this company has changed since the '80s. I was one of those who actually looked forward to coming in to work every day. Impossible to believe now, but it really was a blast back then.

Gee, what a difference 30 years can make. Am I really still at the same company?

Goldilocks

We once had a Female Senior manager who was having a relationship with a female courier. Guess they got into a fight because the next day the courier trashed out the senior's office. And I mean trashed out!

bbsam

Staff member
Really? A hash and booze party is the company you guys yearn to have back? WTF is wrong with you people? Maybe it's time for all of you to follow Goldi out the door.

l22

I can remember meeting at a Mexican restaurant on Fridays, with managers, slamming margaritas, then finishing p2. Ahhhh the good ole days!

Lmao. In the 90s, everyone, managers included, used to still go out after work and drink though right? No one does that anymore it seems.