Background check take long?

UPS_RH

I interviewed last week (Thurs). for a pt dockworker position. The interview went well and they asked if I could make it to the orientation on Tuesday (tomorrow). I said I could no problem and they said they would just have to get my background check back by then. One of the HR girls expressed doubt it could happen that quick (Thurs afternoon and back on Monday) the other said it would. I was also send all the forms to fill out on the UPS jobs website.

By the time I got back to work my employer said they had already received a call and while the background company would not say who they were representing they did say they would send a fax. My employer says the fax did not come. I had no idea they would contact my employer so quickly. I got to work today and was given no work to do and basically my pay was cut to zero. They said they assumed I was not even coming back. I was honest with them that day and told them what had happened at UPS.

I checked with HR on Friday and she said my background was still showing "pending". I am thinking the verification of my employment held things up. Today is Monday and I wasn't called to show up to orientation tomorrow.

I know there is nothing in my background, never been arrested for anything. My question is how long does it usually take? Would UPS go through all this and just not hire me. I am basically sunk at my current job now. Since I obviously missed orientation tomorrow I wonder when the next will be?

I hate being in limbo. I am sick over all this, I may have went to two jobs down to none.

UPS_RH

I am keeping my current job. They just don't believe it. I tried to explain to them that UPS was part time etc, they think I am bailing out.

UPS_RH

You probably should've given them a heads up before they got the phone call.

I told my manager, but just by a stroke of bad luck the owner of the companies sister answered the phone. The owner was on vacation so I didn't want to bother him.

I am just hoping they follow through and hire me now and didn't move past me because I wasn't through the process in time.