"Backing After"

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was told I showed up on a report with 7 "backing after"s the other day and am wondering if anyone else has run into this. I think it's complete BS because I don't "back after." My understanding is if you backup within 90 seconds of hitting stop complete it counts as a backing after on their report.

The only thing I can think of is I have several stops & pickups at commercial docks that are close to each other and after hitting stop complete I'm backing to the next dock within 90 seconds.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you talking about back first exceptions? These occur when you have to back after you complete the delivery stop. The best way to avoid these are to back first.

over9five

Staff member
Are you talking about back first exceptions? These occur when you have to back after you complete the delivery stop. The best way to avoid these are to back first.
Dave tell me if I'm wrong, but I remember you can also get a back first exception if you stop and deliver (like on a dead end road) and say then continue FORWARD and make a back to turn around at the end of the road.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Who cares about what they're multitude of reports show. You backed 18 times, thanks for letting me know. :)

Anything that a report generates is total crap and that is exactly how I treat it

barnyard

KTM rider
Dave tell me if I'm wrong, but I remember you can also get a back first exception if you stop and deliver (like on a dead end road) and say then continue FORWARD and make a back to turn around at the end of the road.

I thought you could and I do that, but have never been asked about it. It is not uncommon for me to do a "Y" turnaround on a dead end road after a delivery. If I do that though, it is never more than 2x a day though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and no. It depends on the distance between the delivery point and the end of the road. On the typical city street you generally need to drive forward at least two houses past the delivery point before backing up to avoid a BFE. In your example it may have been better to drive past the delivery point, turn around and then complete the stop.

The intent of the BFE is to avoid nosing in to a delivery stop, such as a loading dock.

over9five

Staff member
Yes and no. It depends on the distance between the delivery point and the end of the road. On the typical city street you generally need to drive forward at least two houses past the delivery point before backing up to avoid a BFE. In your example it may have been better to drive past the delivery point, turn around and then complete the stop.

The intent of the BFE is to avoid nosing in to a delivery stop, such as a loading dock.

Exactly. The OP thought it was a matter of time (90 seconds). I thought it had to do with distance.
Anyhow, that's how I had to get rid of a few BFEs. Drive past the house, turn around, come back. It's dumb, because now your delivering from the opposite side of the street - but it get's rid of those exceptions.

barnyard

KTM rider
I also thought that I would be called into the office after a couple of long backs. A house was recently built on a route I cover. Driveway is between 1/4-1/2 mile long and there is NO place to turnaround. I backed all the way out. Called the center and told my on-car about it and suggested that we not deliver there in the winter. That was back in December. I was kind of surprised that he did nothing about it and during a PCM last week, mentioned that driveway as one where another driver had to back all the way out of during his annual ride. I got kind of ticked off and asked what the point was of going to the trouble of writing up a driveway and all that, if he was not going to do anything about it.

Freaking knuckleheads.

S

serenity now

why in the world would you nose into a dock?

if i size up a stop and see that a BFE will result because it is right for that situation i just prerecord the del. and stop complete at the next one * still wrong, but you'll never hear about the prerecord * lesser of 2 evils

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why in the world would you nose into a dock?

I never said I did but you would be amazed at some of the stuff I have seen other drivers do.

If i size up a stop and see that a BFE will result because it is right for that situation i just prerecord the del. and stop complete at the next one * still wrong, but you'll never hear about the prerecord * lesser of 2 evils.

You'll have to explain this one to me.

Borderline 9.5

why in the world would you nose into a dock?

if i size up a stop and see that a BFE will result because it is right for that situation i just prerecord the del. and stop complete at the next one * still wrong, but you'll never hear about the prerecord * lesser of 2 evils

or just stop complete after you've turned around, that way the gps shows you at the right address

babboo25

Banned
I have a handful of houses on my route that cant be seen from the road. I dont know until i get close enough if there are cars parked to where i cant turn around. So I may have to make delivery and then back first, but I do check behind tires before i back. But I will not drive past a house, turn around and then walk across the street, just plain stupid.

yeaalabama1212

Sup told me that you must travel 100ft after completing a stop before you can back. Lately they've been coming to about it. Usually it's after I deliver in a cul de sac and I must back because I can't clear a parked car, no power steering.