Bad week at my hub

fethrs

At my hub we lost a pre-loader in car accident a few days ago and a former pt sup took his life.
I knew the pt sup, he was a good guy, friendly, young, got along well with everyone. I could not fathom him doing something like this, I can only imagine how his family must feel. I have not seen him for a long time and it is bothering me...
R.I.P you guys

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've seen more than a couple coworkers die before their time over the years, but the suicides are the ones that tend to stay with me and bother me the most probably because they seem so pointless. I always wonder if there's something I or anyone should have seen, some warning that it was coming, and been able to talk to the person and get them some help. Years ago someone told me that suicide was a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and I think that describes it pretty well.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Agree on the suicides. Experienced this with co-workers in the past.
The empty feeling I feel seems stronger than with an accident and suicide seems so pointless.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont blame yourselves, some people hide it well. They really want to die. They dont want to be stopped.
I have a friend with COPD, who is depressed, no crap, and has tried to kill herself 3 times. She really wants to die. I dont know how to help her, she just says it isnt worth it anymore, and I cant say I would want to live either, when I couldnt do anything I used to do.
A youngster though, in depression over a lost love or whatever, ya thats dumb. And sad.

brown bomber

brown bomber
so sorry to here about the suicides........however, in my opinion suicide is the most selfish act one can commit.......it ruins the lives of countless others....
I've used this argument to prevent people from taking their life

bigbrownhen

So sorry to hear of the loss of life there. We had a co-worker take his own life here a few years back. It was such a shock, no one saw it coming. I still think of him from time to time, and think of what could have been for him. Makes me sad.

SWORDFISH

so sorry to here about the suicides........however, in my opinion suicide is the most selfish act one can commit.......it ruins the lives of countless others....
I've used this argument to prevent people from taking their life

I think being selfish is half right. The other half of that is selfless. Some people truly believe they are helping others w/ thier death.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Suicides are the result of long term, deep depression, where the "hurt" just builds up. The suicidee just wants the hurt to stop, and will do anything to that end. Often times, coworkers, mates, and friends will never know until it's too late, because the suicidee just won't share their problems.
The biggest problem is identifying the problem before it gets out of hand, so that help can given. Sometimes we just don't see the signs.
If you need Fether, we can talk...... I have seen the problem 1st hand.

airbusfxr

Solutions has a 800 number for you to call if you need to talk to a professional. Go to UPSers.com click on health benefits and then solutions is the mental health care option. Life is short and if you need help get it free from you health care provider.

SWORDFISH

Solutions has a 800 number for you to call if you need to talk to a professional. Go to UPSers.com click on health benefits and then solutions is the mental health care option. Life is short and if you need help get it free from you health care provider.

NEVER DO THIS unless you have no other option! Once you get tied up in that program good luck getting out. That 800 # is terrible. I have been meaning to start a post about this. We had a union meeting about it. Go to your own DR. or proffessional.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
NEVER DO THIS unless you have no other option! Once you get tied up in that program good luck getting out. That 800 # is terrible. I have been meaning to start a post about this. We had a union meeting about it. Go to your own DR. or proffessional.

What do you mean by this?????

NHDRVR

Sorry to hear...

I read somewhere that most people with real suicidal thoughts simply need someone to talk to.

SWORDFISH

What do you mean by this?????

You are then stuck in a program that you cannot get out of when you want to. It can be very spendy as well. Im a steward so I get a little more info than most. I know a coworker that is stuck in it and hates it. They kinda own you in a way. If you dont do what they say your outa work for a bit and they can take you out of work anyway if they see fit.
Make sure you dont mention any personal problems you are having to your boss either because they obligated to report it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dont blame yourselves, some people hide it well. They really want to die. They dont want to be stopped.
I have a friend with COPD, who is depressed, no crap, and has tried to kill herself 3 times. She really wants to die. I dont know how to help her, she just says it isnt worth it anymore, and I cant say I would want to live either, when I couldnt do anything I used to do.
A youngster though, in depression over a lost love or whatever, ya thats dumb. And sad.

You know depression is a real, medical disease, right? Think twice before calling things dumb.

Although she could have chosen her words a bit better, Tooner does make a good point in that time will heal the heartbreak of teenage love.

You are right in that depression is a real medical disease which when left untreated does lead to suicide.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sword is right. Stay away from company doctors unless absolutely necessary. I took a week off as disability a few weeks ago, stress related. I had a call before I even got home from my sup's boss giving me the number for the company nurse and telling me I could call her if I needed to. No Thanks. I didn't even bother.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
We had a similar loss a few months back. A veteran driver (20 years) committed suicide. He was hired 3 years before me and we used to dream what it would be like going full time. I keep a photo montage card from his memorial service on my desk. Everyone, UPS'ers and customers miss him.