Becoming a Feeder Driver

Im 18 and I want to be a feeder driver in the future at ups. I was wondering do I have drive package cars before I am able to drive feeders? Should I get my CDL?

Hadjabear

Depends on the building, mine takes FT without 1 year safe driving so the allows combo guys, PT with CDL are also being taken. Best thing to do is go FT asap.

MattM

It’s all area specific

Around my parts , 15-20 years service.
Become a driver. Gain a ton of seniority.

Even becoming a FT driver is tough.
Baby steps. A CDL ahead of time will not hurt or help you any further than another guy who started a day ahead of you. He’ll have the seniority over you.

We just had a guy who’s been with us 20 yrs PT Join the feeder ranks. Being FT may be better than just a cover guy/air. But generally it can take decades.
————
They do hire off the street feeder drivers for seasonal work. And those do require a CDL. I’m not sure if those guys are retained and kept as feeder drivers though.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

Age 21 isn't it? Pkg or feeder. To the OP: no you don't have to drive pkg first. Yes, get your CDL from

UPS or otherwise. Keep a clean driving record and be ready. NEVER pass up any opportunity

that comes your way at UPS. Door opens, go through it. This SOP has worked well for me....

for 40 years. There are exceptions to all of this.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Age 21 isn't it? Pkg or feeder. To the OP: no you don't have to drive pkg first. Yes, get your CDL from

UPS or otherwise. Keep a clean driving record and be ready. NEVER pass up any opportunity

that comes your way at UPS. Door opens, go through it. This SOP has worked well for me....

for 40 years. There are exceptions to all of this.

40 years
You got a pack of ex wives or what

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I work in a Maryland hub. And what are the odds I get accepted if I have a CDL by the time I am 21?
Pretty slim, being that both Maryland hubs have the age 25 requirement. They can waive it if they need drivers and no one 25+ signs the list so there's a small chance.