Been there a year how does this contract help him?

ogrelord

Ground Down
So what happens to the guy that's been here a year and is making 10.50$? Is he just going to get the shaft when it comes to pay? or find out he now has a insurance deductible that will go up too 400$ in 4 years

I've seen time and time again, that your not suppose to support your family working part time.
How does this contract help the guys who have been here 5 to 6 years and it's still another 4 or 5 till they drive? and then 4 more years for progression?

If it's all about you? then we know how we got here...

Inthegame

So what happens to the guy that's been here a year and is making 10.50$? Is he just going to get the shaft when it comes to pay? or find out he now has a insurance deductible that will go up too 400$ in 4 years

I've seen time and time again, that your not suppose to support your family working part time.
How does this contract help the guys who have been here 5 to 6 years and it's still another 4 or 5 till they drive? and then 4 more years for progression?

If it's all about you? then we know how we got here...
The guy making $10.50 will be making $11.20 August 1, then $11.90 Aug '14 and so on. His family will now have insurance in 12 months, not 18, that will still surpass nearly every other plan any of their friends or neighbors enjoy. (Deductibles only are paid if service is utilized). Co-premiums (UPS's proposal) would have been required of all otherwise. He'll have options to drive earlier as single days are expanded,(in some areas lessening progression) at a higher wage rate to increase earnings. He'll have a better chance of advancing as the both PT and FT pension's are going up, likely tempting more higher seniority employees to leave. If he goes FT he'll be making $2.65 an hour more than current wage. He'll have a longer progression (which SUCKS) but he will be paid higher than under this contract which eases the loss. Then when he gets through progression he'll be making over $36 with a benny pack far beyond anything offered to FEDEX employees who are doing nearly the same job at half the compensation.
Sounds like a horrible deal.

ogrelord

Ground Down
The guy making $10.50 will be making $11.20 August 1, then $11.90 Aug '14 and so on. His family will now have insurance in 12 months, not 18, that will still surpass nearly every other plan any of their friends or neighbors enjoy. (Deductibles only are paid if service is utilized). Co-premiums (UPS's proposal) would have been required of all otherwise. He'll have options to drive earlier as single days are expanded,(in some areas lessening progression) at a higher wage rate to increase earnings. He'll have a better chance of advancing as the both PT and FT pension's are going up, likely tempting more higher seniority employees to leave. If he goes FT he'll be making $2.65 an hour more than current wage. He'll have a longer progression (which SUCKS) but he will be paid higher than under this contract which eases the loss. Then when he gets through progression he'll be making over $36 with a benny pack far beyond anything offered to FEDEX employees who are doing nearly the same job at half the compensation.
Sounds like a horrible deal.

it's a very well thought out post Inthegame, How many pter's will be going full time at your center? we have 2 people retiring at mine. so ya better have over 10 year seniority to drive. Are there a lot of drivers steping down at your place? What's going to happen to those 22.3 jobs, all 20k worth of them?

I would leave FEDEX out of this. How much does FEDEX employees pay in dues to get what they get? We pay for someone to watch out for us.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
If this garbage contract passes only offering 2350 full-time jobs, it will take you 15 years to go driving. The previous 3 contracts offered each 10,000 full-time jobs and took in average about 10 years to go full-time.

Vote NO!

Inthegame

it's a very well thought out post Inthegame, How many pter's will be going full time at your center? we have 2 people retiring at mine. so ya better have over 10 year seniority to drive. Are there a lot of drivers steping down at your place? What's going to happen to those 22.3 jobs, all 20k worth of them?

I would leave FEDEX out of this. How much does FEDEX employees pay in dues to get what they get? We pay for someone to watch out for us.
Hard to predict the economic future of UPS operations but this TA gives impetus to long term employees to choose retirement. With the 2008 meltdown and subsequent losses, many more UPS'ers hung around longer than under good times. We are heavy with higher seniority employees nationwide that will be retiring in larger numbers as their personal portfolio's rebound. The costs of retiree insurance will go up, but the costs of UPS's subsidy will increase even more.
22.3 jobs have been steady to increasing.

Dues are completely insignificant, around 1% of total compensation. UPS FT Pkg driver wage/benefit of $50 per hour (approximate). 160 x $50 = $8000 without O/T. Dues $81 per month. I believe someone is doing just fine watching out for us.

ogrelord

Ground Down
Hard to predict the economic future of UPS operations but this TA gives impetus to long term employees to choose retirement. With the 2008 meltdown and subsequent losses, many more UPS'ers hung around longer than under good times. We are heavy with higher seniority employees nationwide that will be retiring in larger numbers as their personal portfolio's rebound. The costs of retiree insurance will go up, but the costs of UPS's subsidy will increase even more.
22.3 jobs have been steady to increasing.

Dues are completely insignificant, around 1% of total compensation. UPS FT Pkg driver wage/benefit of $50 per hour (approximate). 160 x $50 = $8000 without O/T. Dues $81 per month. I believe someone is doing just fine watching out for us.

In a perfect world it sounds great, but even you understand that it doesn't always work out like that. take the last contract, 22.3, 9.5 rule, harassment and on and on . these were great thing that were won, but never enforced. Now this time 240,000 ups workers will be moved into an inferior health plan. Can you name 1 gain a union has made for Labor? Last one I can think of was Fmla and that was 1993. 4 billion is what they made in profit last year, and that's after paying for my health care. What? 4 billions not enough?

I know even with the enhanced c-6 plan not be the same as what I have now, And I know they will change it at some point. Inthegame you say it hard to predict what's going to happen. I can look at the last ten years and predict from that and hope that when I've done my time and can retire that's there still health insurance for me.