Being a PT Superviser

So, I decided to go for the PT Sup position and after the application process and interview I got the job. I just wanted to post a general topic on what needs to be done to get a PT Sup position, who should go for it, and what my first week as a Sup was like. Feel free to post questions, comments, whatever in response.

Firstly, if you are looking to make a career out of UPS and want to eventually drive or something, don't go in to management. However, if you want to make a career out of UPS and fight for a management position, go Sup. However just note, getting a promotion through management is a lot tougher and based off of a number of factors and seniority being a minor factor.

If you are a student, or plan on staying at UPS only for a couple of years, being a sup gets you a good resume builder and opens doors for you. Just note that being a promoted and working to the top is A LOT harder through management.

So, you decided you want to become a manager and want to know the first step. The first step is simple, ask you current sup who to talk to in your building or go straight to your HR department and ask them. No one is going to walk you there. You want the job? Prove you want it.

The next step is generally they will have you complete the MAPP test. It's a management test to see if you can do simple math and have leadership qualities. You don't need to lie or study to pass it. Just be honest and think like a manager. The math is also simple, if you can't do it, go review percentages and basic addition and subtraction. You take this test online at home and you are emailed your results. If you pass you move on to the next step.

After that, mention to HR or your sort manager that you passed and wait for them to come to you. It may take a couple of days depending on how busy the week has been and so on. Be patient. If there is an opening your sort manager will tell you a little bit about the position, ask you why you want the job, etc... If you are a qualified candidate, you've proven you are a hard worker, and your management team likes you, congratulations you are promoted.

What's it like being a sup? Well here a few things that I have learned and some other things that while different Sups say different things, I find to be true.

Rule one, union work is union work. Flip packages label side up to assist, but don't do their work. Managers manage, workers work. It's not a matter of helping out, it's a matter of respecting the union and the union contract. If the belt gets jammed and packages fall on the floor, of course clean it up, stop the belt, and continue managing. Listen to your boss though. My operations manager will sometimes tell me to do union work. While I know there are some who would argue against it, I know two things. I need to make my bosses happy, and I need to make the union workers happy. Sometimes you can't do both. If you have to do union work and progress packages and your boss is telling you to do so, limit what you do, and I generally like to have my boss tell me in front of the workers. That way they understand why I'm working. Is this perfect? No. But life goes on.

Rule two, respect your employees, talk to them, and be friendly. Why? You are there to do a job. They are there do a job. UPS isn't a grand job. No one wants to be there. It sucks. Being pessimistic or overly demanding helps no one. Will there be problem employees? Yeah. Your job is not to be a dick to them. When all else fails, be polite and get your boss if you need assistance if someone isn't working or being difficult. There are plenty of good employees who do care.

Rule three, being critical, yet be nice. Don't be a Sup who finds nothing wrong with every employee in your observation, be critical but not overly harsh. Don't be afraid to tell someone to please handle packages properly or whatever.

Rule four, ask questions. Chances are the workers have seen Sups come and go often. Don't know something? Ask them. More than likely they will help. Don't be a pushover but chances are they want you to know your job and will help you.

So yeah that's what I got.

Mapp

Choo Choo
The First rule of Supervision is don't go. Stay Union. Unless you are going for a High paying college degree that will give you better pay and benefits than a driver. I was a PT sup for 7 years and worked in 3 different buildings:-)censored: HUBS). Stay hourly, go Air driving while you finish your degree. You can always pad your resume with internships.

I now work for the Railroad and make more now than I did per hour as a Sup and more than (most) On road sups. I have a pension and pay 1/4 of what they do for healthcare bennies.

I would agree that the Union is better than management, but I mean I know I don't plan on staying with the company. I have plans to study abroad and do military service after college. I think management is good for certain people. But people who think that there is advancement in management and those who are doing it simply for "experience" are going to regret every minute of it.

One quick addition I'd like to say about PT management that people may not agree with it, I think PT management should belong to the union and pay their dues. Why? There of course would still be rules for management that would prevent them from doing "package" work but it would give them the power to say "No" to their full time management personnel who keep telling them to do package work. I see no harm in PT management joining the Union, and it would probably foster better relations between the two groups. But that's just me.

I would agree that the Union is better than management, but I mean I know I don't plan on staying with the company. I have plans to study abroad and do military service after college. I think management is good for certain people. But people who think that there is advancement in management and those who are doing it simply for "experience" are going to regret every minute of it.

One quick addition I'd like to say about PT management that people may not agree with it, I think PT management should belong to the union and pay their dues. Why? There of course would still be rules for management that would prevent them from doing "package" work but it would give them the power to say "No" to their full time management personnel who keep telling them to do package work. I see no harm in PT management joining the Union, and it would probably foster better relations between the two groups. But that's just me.
I've actually thought of it as well. We are way down low in the management ladder, it would be nice of we were allowed to have some sort of protection from the abuse of sort managers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was one for 6 yrs, the abuse was terrible. I doubt it is any better now than when I was one. You have NO protection. They will abuse the living :censored2: out of you. And dangle a carrot. Screw it leave when you are young, you will go nowhere, unless you have a good manager, then if he goes you are in a rut again. They will never allow you to join a union, you are a slave, get out while you can. You have no protection.