Being asked to do different job

UnloaderZ

I work Sunday-Thursday day sort at a hub as an unloader. The last few months, every Sunday my full-time supervisor says he needs me to go unload the metro package trucks, instead of the usual full length trailers I unload every day. At first I did it willingly, then realized it’s unpleasant because the belt stops frequently, which I can’t control, and I’m alone all day doing it. So then I said I really don’t want to, and he said ok I’ll find someone else. After a month or so, he started asking me to do it again. When I say no he guilts me into it saying he really needs me to. Can I just be stern and say no? He is my full time supervisor and boss. I don’t know if he is allowed to make me do this when it’s not my job or what I’m on the staff sheet assigned to do.

AccidentProne

You're not an unloader, you are a package handler. He can put you where ever he likes; If he wants you to stand with a box in hand all day, then that's what you're gonna do as long as it doesn't violate safety or union rules.

Nah
I work Sunday-Thursday day sort at a hub as an unloader. The last few months, every Sunday my full-time supervisor says he needs me to go unload the metro package trucks, instead of the usual full length trailers I unload every day. At first I did it willingly, then realized it’s unpleasant because the belt stops frequently, which I can’t control, and I’m alone all day doing it. So then I said I really don’t want to, and he said ok I’ll find someone else. After a month or so, he started asking me to do it again. When I say no he guilts me into it saying he really needs me to. Can I just be stern and say no? He is my full time supervisor and boss. I don’t know if he is allowed to make me do this when it’s not my job or what I’m on the staff sheet assigned to do.
That sounds great to me. Why don't you want to do it?

UnloaderZ

That sounds great to me. Why don't you want to do it?
I don’t like being alone all day. My thoughts are hard to control when I’m alone. I prefer the trailers because I’m usually paired with another unloader, a number of whom are my friends. The shifts go by much faster when there is conversation

Box Handler of Dallas

I purposely go in on Saturday nights to unload the package cars so I can be alone with my thoughts and music blasting in my ear buds. Even with 3 other people on the belt we work independently. Belt stops, I stop. Belt runs, I throw boxes. Every time that belt stops, it's a free break.
But to answer your question, no, you can't tell your supervisor no. It's a "Work As Directly(W.A.D.) world at UPS. Like @AccidentProne said, you're a package handler. From small sort, unload, load, primary, etc...you are a package handler. Unloader is just your assigned work area in the HUB.

542thruNthru

Screenshot_20221016-085842_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

AccidentProne

I don’t like being alone all day. My thoughts are hard to control when I’m alone. I prefer the trailers because I’m usually paired with another unloader, a number of whom are my friends. The shifts go by much faster when there is conversation
Are you not allowed to have a radio or ear buds? Even if its not allowed I'd still do it because it is maddening to work in silence for hours.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why does it bother you to be alone all day?
Are you scared or do you just need your hand held

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
INJURY TIME

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Totally understandable man. Working by yourself can suck big time. Comradery is hard to quantify but very important to some.

If you have that much seniority, tell your SUPE to find someone else.

The Range

In too deep
You're not an unloader, you are a package handler. He can put you where ever he likes; If he wants you to stand with a box in hand all day, then that's what you're gonna do as long as it doesn't violate safety or union rules.
That isn't how this works. It seems like someone in your local needs to step up and get part-timers their right to pick a preferred job. OP, you will have a struggle as your move to a different unload setup is lateral. Call BA or talk to a steward and pindown what past practice is in this regard. If you aren't happy, perhaps you should move to a different preferred job i.e. sort isle.