Being instructed to deliver by crossing traffic

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you have to back when making a delivery and you have to turn around after said delivery you must back first, if the turn around you will be making is within 100 feet of the stop; Which, in turn, forces you to cross traffic.

This is a new directive at my center for specific drivers who are on the 'hit list'(quote from on-car). What would the stewards on here to grieve this safety issue??

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure what you'd grieve here? Trying to keep people off the telematics report it sounds like.

I would work as instructed and do one of 2 things.

Make sure I parked safely walk behind the truck and take PLENTY of time to make sure it's safe to cross.

Or I would simply make sure to drive more than 100 feet before backing.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
To ensure safety I comply with their wishes. I exit the passenger side using 3 points of contact and walk to teh rear of the truck. I then look both ways to make sure its clear and walk on designated walkways(avoiding lawns) <shrug> adds a lot of time to the day which adds $$$$$$ to my paycheck. Who am I to question these great engineers that designed these programs???? I make sure they get their monies worth :devil3:

feeder05

you do what is safe...and if they give you any flack bring up "i did what was the safest methods"...and walk away. good luck

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When we first got telematics it was posted on the board every day and everyone was all shook up. Now a year and a half later both mgmnt and worker realize you cant do the job if you worry about that crap.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you have to back when making a delivery and you have to turn around after said delivery you must back first, if the turn around you will be making is within 100 feet of the stop; Which, in turn, forces you to cross traffic.

This is a new directive at my center for specific drivers who are on the 'hit list'(quote from on-car). What would the stewards on here to grieve this safety issue??

Dont grieve anything, just continue doing the job in the manner that you deem safe. The instructions that you are being given are invalid and impossible for the company to enforce in terms of discipline. Yes, they can issue "warning letters", but a suspension or termination based upon such a letter would not be upheld at panel and they know it. Its an empty threat, an excercise in generating a quota of warning letters in order to make themselves look good on a report. There are any number of legitimate reasons why it might not be safe or even possible to back first within the 100' limit. Did they give you a tape measure or laser rangefinder? Are you expected to park illegally, get out of the vehicle and then measure or pace off the distance in order to determine whether or not it meets their 100' requirement? Did you park first with the intention of backing over 100' away only to come out after the delivery and find that the spot you intended to back into is now blocked? Once you start asking these questions at a grievance hearning, the stupidity of their instructions will become clear. Yes you should back first whenever possible and yes you should make a reasonable effort to comply with their instructions, but do so based upon what you determine to be safe at that particular time and place.

packageguy

​I would work as directed, give them nothing. That is what I tell my guys....

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
reports and their numbers can be important, but are just guidelines to improve on; anyone who really stresses about them needs to really step back and look at the bigger picture

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You guys kill me !
noone here is ever never EVER going to convince Management that a plan that has been is implemented is wrong. Ya'll act like MGT will say " oh wow,yeah we sure were wrong,we appreciate you bringing this to our attention,let us make some changes" Hitler will be passing out Ice Skates before that happens

Instead of fighting with MGT,give them EXACTLY what they want!
Our center by and large follows Telematics perfectly,and boy howdy it's amazing how much TIME that takes!

Dont want us to back and stay out of drive ways?? well sure boss I'll be more than happy to avoid "unnecessary backing" and jeez that sure takes alot of TIME to walk those driveways dosent it?

So you want me to run my route at least 85% in trace? well you got it! my miles have increased by 20-30 each day,and by golly it sure takes alot of TIME running in trace rather than using area knowledge that i have learned from over 20 years on area. hey those engineers are WAY smarter than me!

Want pick ups in 100% Compliance? well sure thing you got it! I have no problems breaking trace,losing time in travel and traffic to make the commit time. It takes just as long to get back on trace!

our two On Car supes are frantic every day because 'The Numbers' arent being met and I love to NO END pointing out we are the top in the district for Telematics and Backing ,and they should take some consolation in that!

EVERYONE in our group save 2 are on the 9.5 list and routes are no longer cut in our loops. why? we give the company EXACTLY what they want

You guys kill me !
noone here is ever never EVER going to convince Management that a plan that has been is implemented is wrong. Ya'll act like MGT will say " oh wow,yeah we sure were wrong,we appreciate you bringing this to our attention,let us make some changes" Hitler will be passing out Ice Skates before that happens

Instead of fighting with MGT,give them EXACTLY what they want!
Our center by and large follows Telematics perfectly,and boy howdy it's amazing how much TIME that takes!

Dont want us to back and stay out of drive ways?? well sure boss I'll be more than happy to avoid "unnecessary backing" and jeez that sure takes alot of TIME to walk those driveways dosent it?

So you want me to run my route at least 85% in trace? well you got it! my miles have increased by 20-30 each day,and by golly it sure takes alot of TIME running in trace rather than using area knowledge that i have learned from over 20 years on area. hey those engineers are WAY smarter than me!

Want pick ups in 100% Compliance? well sure thing you got it! I have no problems breaking trace,losing time in travel and traffic to make the commit time. It takes just as long to get back on trace!

our two On Car supes are frantic every day because 'The Numbers' arent being met and I love to NO END pointing out we are the top in the district for Telematics and Backing ,and they should take some consolation in that!

EVERYONE in our group save 2 are on the 9.5 list and routes are no longer cut in our loops. why? we give the company EXACTLY what they want
Careful what you wish for...you may jst get it!! I love this place. We have bosses who forget what its like to deliver a package. And they have bosses who never delivered a package!Dont worry the computer will fix everything!