Being prepared

YourCO

Had a buddy who just needed surgery and he needs a boot and cane for 6-8 months and it got me thinking of how I could be prepared (besides an emergency fund) if such a thing were to happen to me and weren't work-related. I don't know how our short-term works since it's not in the contract or supplement, and the long-term looks like it's capped at $800/wk, which is not even housing costs after taxes. And I'm guessing they don't offer you desk work.
I'm sure there are some folks on here with experience and advice.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Had a buddy who just needed surgery and he needs a boot and cane for 6-8 months and it got me thinking of how I could be prepared (besides an emergency fund) if such a thing were to happen to me and weren't work-related. I don't know how our short-term works since it's not in the contract or supplement, and the long-term looks like it's capped at $800/wk, which is not even housing costs after taxes. And I'm guessing they don't offer you desk work.
I'm sure there are some folks on here with experience and advice.
What is your current job at ups? And yes, an emergency fund is smart to have. Was always told to have 5 months in reserve incase something were to happen.