Being promoted to PT supervisor, what can I do to prepare for the job?

Hoonr

I’m being promoted to a pt supervisor in the next couple of months, what are some things that I should know to expect? I realize that many are against becoming pt management and I’ve thought it over quite a bit and realize this is something I do want to pursue. My hub is run well and I get along with all of the supervisors. Any tips or anything anyone with pt sup experience can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Box Ox

I’m being promoted to a pt supervisor in the next couple of months

Any tips or anything

Go ahead and get one of those 55 gallon drums of personal lubricant that Amazon will probably have a deal on during Prime Day, which is July 15-16.

Your positive relationship with management may change once they’ve got you fully reeled into the PT supervisor position. Or when the relatively nice one at the top is transferred out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I’m being promoted to a pt supervisor in the next couple of months, what are some things that I should know to expect? I realize that many are against becoming pt management and I’ve thought it over quite a bit and realize this is something I do want to pursue. My hub is run well and I get along with all of the supervisors. Any tips or anything anyone with pt sup experience can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Along with insurance, career wise, no pension any longer for management, so when you calculate future earnings, factor this in. Many underestimated the actual amount of funds required to make up that gap. The number is huge. This is money you must invest off the top.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Dude....that ain’t a promotion. You are going to the bottom rung of the ladder. There isn’t anyone lower than a part time supervisor in the company.

Let me guess.... you been working preload for 3 weeks and they came to you and said that they liked how hard you worked and you deserved a promotion?

Don’t you realize they have to beg people to take that job? If you plan on making UPS a career, stay where you are at. If it is a temp job then go for it. You will be stuck there the rest of your career.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
You mean you accept a PT Sup position. It's a crappy job but best you can do is be honest with the people you supervised and observed and ask questions of other PT Sups.

Hoonr

Dude....that ain’t a promotion. You are going to the bottom rung of the ladder. There isn’t anyone lower than a part time supervisor in the company.

Let me guess.... you been working preload for 3 weeks and they came to you and said that they liked how hard you worked and you deserved a promotion?

Don’t you realize they have to beg people to take that job? If you plan on making UPS a career, stay where you are at. If it is a temp job then go for it. You will be stuck there the rest of your career.
I started as a loader and got moved to pick off about 4 weeks in, I’ve been there about a month and a half now. I’m just trying to make more money. I’m only 20 so if this doesn’t work out it won’t be the end of the world, I know a lot of people say pt supervisors basically hate their existence but the supervisors at my hub don’t seem that way.

Superteeth2478

Or they told him they "liked his attitude". True story. Not to mention the one I'll never forget...one girl was demoted to part-time supervisor on her first day. I asked whether or not she thought it was odd that she was "promoted" on her first day. She said "I have management experience from prior jobs. Experience, 'tis all." She seriously said that. Her first day as a part-time supervisor she loaded a whole load area by herself. I filed on the whole day that she worked. She didn't show up the next day.

VeeTeeGee

I started as a loader and got moved to pick off about 4 weeks in, I’ve been there about a month and a half now. I’m just trying to make more money. I’m only 20 so if this doesn’t work out it won’t be the end of the world, I know a lot of people say pt supervisors basically hate their existence but the supervisors at my hub don’t seem that way.

I think a lot of it depends on the hub you work at. I have no doubt that it's a totally :censored2: job at many hubs. I also don't doubt that there are hubs out there where it's fine. You'd have a much better idea of how it is at your hub versus a bunch of people on the internet.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Sorry to hear this
If you can, c
Congrats on your demotion
Stay an hourly and save yourself from being a UPS Be Ach
You will be thankful in the long run

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
In my humble opinion you've made a huge mistake.

You'll never make the money or have anything resembling peace that you would have earned as a driver.

I've seen countless part-time supervisors come and go and none seem to last longer than 3 years.

RolloTony Brown Town

Listen to your employees but don’t follow your employees. Sometimes employees have good ideas. Sometimes employees play games.

Know how to do your hourly’s job(s) well. Take time to learn and understand the methods of the job. Use training demos to get better at it as well as to help keep the operation clean when people are struggling. You need to be able to train new employees. If you can’t do their job then you will command little respect from them.

Don’t lose your cool when things are going poorly (and they will go poorly). If you keep a level head then your employees are more likely to believe that things are going well.

Make sure that you validate timecards and communicate start times clearly. Employees hate showing up early and late because of poor communication. Nobody likes being shorted on pay.

If you aren’t sure then ask. There are seasoned pt supervisors, ft supervisors, and even some hourlies that can help.

On a side note... figure out what you want from ups... there are opportunities to drive and to get promoted. Make sure you are clear with your manager and Division manager about your intentions. Have regular discussions about where you see your career going and what you need to do to get there.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I think a lot of it depends on the hub you work at. I have no doubt that it's a totally :censored2: job at many hubs. I also don't doubt that there are hubs out there where it's fine. You'd have a much better idea of how it is at your hub versus a bunch of people on the internet.

It changes on a dime though, 2 years ago going management was like boot camp and you always got crapped on and backstab by the FT sups and higher up. Now that they swept the table clean of our old center manager, our old preload manager and some FT sups: being a PT sup is actually a pretty fun, laid back spot in these parts. Basically a form of PT where you do little to no physical labor and simply make bad cookie-cutter decisions demanded from the district without a care in the world.

There is no knowing how long it will last.

Expect a PT management position to be a short-term affair, 4 years max. The union side beats PT sup into a pulp if you even remotely expect to stay longer than that.

clean hairy

You will be instructed to only work 5 when you know it takes 7 to get all the work done.
You will then be instructed to load trailers in order to get the work done in the allotted time, but then you will have to answer why grievances are being filed against you.
You might make more $, but you have to pay for your insurance.
You will get to take a vacation when it is decided you deserve 1, and you might be told 3 or 2 days ahead due to staffing issues, you cannot take the vacation you had planned..
In other words the time you are a supe will be a nightmare!