being sent home, probation, union?

My partner was hired by UPS as a package handler in early November. He is hearing impaired so does tend to miss information.
Our questions are he has been sent home twice this week due to lack of work. They don't call him first but instead wait until he gets there and tells him to go home. Is they anything in the union contract that prohibits this?
Also, he has not been approached by a union rep in order to join. When does that happen? He has been employed since early November so we assume he is off probation. Is that true?
Is there anywhere on line to go to see an employee handbook so I can perhaps figure out some of this?

542thruNthru

Your best move would be to have your partner go down to the union hall and join the union. While he/she is down there he/she can talk to the BA and ask him any questions he/she may have.

Being in AZ I doubt anyone will come up to your partner while working to have your partner join.

Being that your partner is hearing impaired and may make mistakes more then normal. Becoming involved in the union will help in my opinion

oldngray

nowhere special
I knew a full timer who worked inside as a preloader and sorter who was completely deaf. He was limited in what jobs he could do such as never driving but UPS made sure they had a place for him in the hub. Probably as a token and make UPS good for hiring a disabled worker.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Map of Teamsters
Teamsters
1 review
Labor Union
1450 South 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85009
(602) 272-5561
Closed now · Hours
Call
Directions
Website

For some reason he thought he had already passed his probation after 30 days of work. He did graduate from his trainer a while back. I will read the contract and pass on the information. Thanks!

upschuck

I was wrong Western region says seasonal period is Oct 1 - Dec 31, so start counting how many days he's worked since the beginning of the year. It also says the probation period is 70 days worked, in 6 month period of time. Good luck.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed