being told not to come into work

upscrow

hello i am a semi new ups package handler, but i am now in the union after working at ups for over 30 days. my head supervisor told me that i am not in the union, but i know for a fact i am because i have payed my union due for this month.

one of my supervisors has called me the last couple of days telling me not to come into work. But my concern is that when i was hired i was told once i was in the union i was guaranteed 3 1/2 hours a night. is he breaking union rules by telling me not to come in and is there anything i can do?

if someone can get back to me as soon as possible that would be fantastic.

AndUPSER

Are you sure you're not seasonal? Everybody in my area that is hired now is technically seasonal, even though they pay union dues. Contact your local.

upscrow

no i was told i wasn't seasonal i started back in June around the tenth. one of my friends that works with me said he used to be seasonal around christmas time, they let him go and around the time i was hired they rehired him and hes not seasonal anymore so im guessing im not

At my hub , they start at the top of the seniority list in the area making cuts . I would assume they would call you and "ask" if you want the night off , and if you pass they would ask the next person .

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't answer your phone when your sup calls....and report to work on time. Or answer and say I'd like to work today....I'll be there by start time. If you are in the union...and. you show up to work on time...yes, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours.

upscrow

his excuse for not having me work is that we are turning into a hub and since their training people they have to many people and not enough work. but since i am in the union doesn't that mean i have seniority over people who aren't i know i have been working there for a little amount of time but i know their seniority rule is big there.

upscrow

thanks guys you helped alot :D hes calling as i sit here to tell me not to come in once again for the 4th day in a row
just one more thing who is a steward

thanks guys you helped alot :D hes calling as i sit here to tell me not to come in once again for the 4th day in a row
just one more thing who is a steward
Do you know what local you are out of? If you do google teamsters local ??? This is how you can find the phone number to your local. Call the number and talk to a business agent. If they don't answer leave a messege. Keep calling if you do t hear back in a reasonable amount of time.

OntCombo63

Do you know what local you are out of? If you do google teamsters local ??? This is how you can find the phone number to your local. Call the number and talk to a business agent. If they don't answer leave a messege. Keep calling if you do t hear back in a reasonable amount of time.
That's why I referred him to a steward on occasions it's been difficult to track a BA down. In my hub we have 4 and it's always a mission to get a hold of 1

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
That's why I referred him to a steward on occasions it's been difficult to track a BA down. In my hub we have 4 and it's always a mission to get a hold of 1
Get a copy of contract and you will have as much if not more knowledge than your pt steward. You are the union. Stand up for yourself. Ps. This is a lot of trouble to go through to make a bs wage for 3.5 hours a day ... You would make more at Burger King........ Just sayin.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Get a copy of contract and you will have as much if not more knowledge than your pt steward. You are the union. Stand up for yourself. Ps. This is a lot of trouble to go through to make a bs wage for 3.5 hours a day ... You would make more at Burger King........ Just sayin.

Can he get $2.70 cents in raises, free full benefits, 1 week paid vacation, 3 sick days, the oppurtunity to make $32 an hour within a year of working at burger kings.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Find your steward. If you have a GOOD steward, you can be paid 3 1/2 hours for each of the 4 days he sent you home.

How could the OP have been sent home if he was told not to come in to work?

Since the OP did not request his guarantee, he is out of luck in asking for pay for the days that he missed.

Show up Monday morning at start time ready to work.