Being told to start earlier and not being paid for it.

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
Simple, and as a few others said as well:

Start work only when you are getting paid for it. If they want you to work earlier, tell them to pay you for it.
Don't be scared to assert this or wait until you are part of the union. If they got on your case for not working when you're not getting paid, talk to an attorney about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Simple, and as a few others said as well:

Start work only when you are getting paid for it. If they want you to work earlier, tell them to pay you for it.
Don't be scared to assert this or wait until you are part of the union. If they got on your case for not working when you're not getting paid, talk to an attorney about it.

You want him to hire a lawyer over $7.50?

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
If the supervisors exacerbate the problem to the point where he could lose his job, that's a hell of a lawsuit.

snarts

I've been told by a fellow worker if I don't go to HR and bring it to their attention that this problem might never get fixed because supervisors have a budget they must not go over and this is a way to get another hour out of new guys without paying them.

and I was really starting to like this company.

trickpony1

snarts-
It's good that you learned early.
It takes some people years to learn this.

The company will screw you in a heartbeat and, when confronted, will claim it's a "human error".
Keep track of all hours worked and make sure your paycheck balances with your records.

Your Steward and BA should be a good resource of information. Management will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe (been there, seen it for many years).

Good luck.

happybob

Feeders
Lots of us carry a small note book in our pocket to record our punch in/start work time and punch out time for every day we work. The following week we check our pay check against our time books to make sure they are paying us properly. If you are not doing so, start doing it now and get into the habit early. As for the hours you have been getting screwed/mistakenly not paid properly for, keep writing it down every week that you are short and continue to ask your supervisor(nicely ask for now) to fix the shortage. Once you have made seniority you will be in a better position to demand they fix it. They can wait until the following weeks paycheck to fix shortages, below a certain amount, based on if you are part time, which you are, if you are full time(check the contract or ask your shop steward for one if you have not received one yet to get the $ dollar amounts). However, once the total amount owed is above that threshold you are entitled to penalty pay if they do not correct the shortage within the contractually agreed time frame(this is why you will want to get a contact book) so you know the rules you are working under and what rules the company must follow.

Yes I do have one and no I will not look up or site the language/article for you, since this will give you the incentive to get the contract book!