Bellwether UPS could signal end to bear markets

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Bellwether UPS could signal end to bear markets - The Star

Our chart this week is that of the daily closes of transportation bellwether United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE-UPS). UPS is the preferred shipper of goods to small business and is extremely economy sensitive.

The shares of UPS peaked in mid-2006, about 12 months before the peak of the broader stock indices and effectively predicting the 2007-2008 bear in most global stock markets.

Our chart now displays a bullish cup and handle bottom formation, along with a breakout level of $66. If, over the next few weeks, UPS can move decisively into the $68 range we have an important bellwether confirming the end of the 2007-2008 bear market.

M

My Take

The shares of UPS peaked in mid-2006, about 12 months before the peak of the broader stock indices ???????

I don't know who wrote this article, but the price of UPS stock is basically the same price it was 9 years ago (When it went public). Yes, that's right. The stock has traded between ranges of $60-85 for the last decade. So if we are talking cradles, teacups, etc. we need to talk about Horshoes. This stock has paid a dividend and that is about it... No growth here.

drewed

Shankman
Its not talking about growth.
Its using UPS stock as the pattern for how the market will be in about 12 months.
mid 2006 UPS stock topped out, 12 months later the market topped out.
UPS stock has been on the rise since mid july and if it continues to gain it will show that the economy is improving.

so learn to comprehend before you judge what you do not know

FAVREFAN

The article is grasping at straws, guessing, hypothesizing, etc...... What about today?
UPS stock is a safety play and will be until they figure out how to diversify more to create more growth in different sectors.
It is too damn cyclical. Tired of it.