bend at the knees

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I've been a proponent of stoop lifting since I started working. Whenever I am confronted about it I just tell them I'm the person most responsible for my own safety. So much of the safety stuff UPS pushes is based on junk science. I'm not going to blow out my knees because of an old wive's tale. I'm not going to flush out all of my electrolytes because nestle wants to sell more bottled water.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

I've been a proponent of stoop lifting since I started working. Whenever I am confronted about it I just tell them I'm the person most responsible for my own safety. So much of the safety stuff UPS pushes is based on junk science. I'm not going to blow out my knees because of an old wive's tale. I'm not going to flush out all of my electrolytes because nestle wants to sell more bottled water.
While I am not convinced of the validity of either of these two videos, it makes sense to keep things at waist level, as often as possible.
My pet peeve has always been people going in to help me with an overloaded preload assignment and simply throwing everything out of the cages and onto the floor. Sure it's faster, but my back feels it later on. Keep as much stuff off the floor as possible, both for you and your driver.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
While I am not convinced of the validity of either of these two videos, it makes sense to keep things at waist level, as often as possible.
My pet peeve has always been people going in to help me with an overloaded preload assignment and simply throwing everything out of the cages and onto the floor. Sure it's faster, but my back feels it later on. Keep as much stuff off the floor as possible, both for you and your driver.

Glad to hear the propaganda has such an enduring hold. Did you know that doctors used to irradiate the healthy thymus glands of children because the only ones they ever examined were unhealthy and shriveled, so they thought that's what was healthy? Just because a belief is strongly held doesn't make it right, especially when there is clear and precise evidence to the contrary.

Heavy Package

This is how Dragon and Tears bend at the knees.

man-praying-his-knees-17191204.jpg

Heavy Package

I'm the person most responsible for my own safety. So much of the safety stuff UPS pushes is based on junk science.

I do whatever I want while on road. If it's a large heavy package, I drive up to the garage and push it out and let it drop. Not like it was treated any better at the hub.

Thursday I had a 132lb smoker grill and another 80lb "accessory kit" box. Pulled up next to the driveway and pushed it out the back with a huge "thud". friend 'em. Your crap is not worth a spinal surgery.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I do whatever I want while on road. If it's a large heavy package, I drive up to the garage and push it out and let it drop. Not like it was treated any better at the hub.

Thursday I had a 132lb smoker grill and another 80lb "accessory kit" box. Pulled up next to the driveway and pushed it out the back with a huge "thud". friend 'em. Your crap is not worth a spinal surgery.

We work in a customer service industry, I’d strangle my delivery guy if I caught him dropping my brand new grill for the summer off the back and I’d make the driver pay for a new one there and then or he ain’t leaving my drive way.

We don’t have to drop our standards, slide it down the hand cart off the back and wheel it to the house. It’s amazingly easy and you get back in drivers seat with some pride you did your job correctly.

Attitudes like this it’s time to walk away.

Heavy Package

When UPS overloads the cars like they do, no one is "walking away" from a career here. It's more like get your walker and away you go. 132lb smoker grills are not "packages". It is freight and I'm not having an MRI or missing playing catch with my kids because you got a deal on some online crap. Call me whatever you want. You'll be the one in the scooter while I walk past and laugh.

Heavy Package

I’d strangle my delivery guy if I caught him dropping my brand new grill for the summer off the back and I’d make the driver pay for a new one there and then or he ain’t leaving my drive way.

Any customer who makes threats and it's a 911 call ASAP. How about the "man" who sees you struggling with something and waits at the front door shouting at you where he wants you to put it. friend these people. And FYI the wealthy neighborhoods are the worst at this.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Any customer who makes threats and it's a 911 call ASAP. How about the "man" who sees you struggling with something and waits at the front door shouting at you where he wants you to put it. friend these people. And FYI the wealthy neighborhoods are the worst at this.

But you work in customer service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So does a cashier. Doesn't mean people have a right to threaten you.

Also doesn't mean that you have the right to leave their stuff in their driveway.

This past Tuesday I was making my MBE pickup. They had an awkwardly shaped 140 lb package going out and try as I might I just could not get a firm grip on it. A passerby offered to help and between the two of us we got in to the car and pushed over to RDL. He didn't have to do that----it is what nice people do and I thanked him for his help.

Poop Head

Judge me.
And FYI the wealthy neighborhoods are the worst at this.
This part is true. Can't even begin to count how many times "rich" people see ups pull up, go in the house and shut the doors, garage door, or the funniest is when they are sitting in their car in the driveway and pretend they don't notice you. Lmao. Just be nice, cart it to the front door. We provide a service. Also, just think, do you wanna be the guy that is cranky and grumbling obscenities, the guy running accross yards and flinging packages, or the guy whistling a happy tune and enjoying the day?
PS, everybody has cameras now days

DOK

We work in a customer service industry, I’d strangle my delivery guy if I caught him dropping my brand new grill for the summer off the back and I’d make the driver pay for a new one there and then or he ain’t leaving my drive way.

We don’t have to drop our standards, slide it down the hand cart off the back and wheel it to the house. It’s amazingly easy and you get back in drivers seat with some pride you did your job correctly.

Go to the store and buy it there. Our system, nor our bodies, were made to handle these increasing larger size boxes. Gets my goat every time I think of someone ordering a grill, tires, rims, a washing machine online and they have no forethought of how the heck is the driver going to deliver this?

DOK

When UPS overloads the cars like they do, no one is "walking away" from a career here. It's more like get your walker and away you go. 132lb smoker grills are not "packages". It is freight and I'm not having an MRI or missing playing catch with my kids because you got a deal on some online crap. Call me whatever you want. You'll be the one in the scooter while I walk past and laugh.

Totally agree, you order big stuff, it gets pushed out the back. Now I won’t let drop to the ground, or handle it rough, but I’m not going to maneuver it to a porch or a door, it’s staying right there, however close I can get the truck to the house.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

download.jpeg

Power Zone are my key words here... if it's beyond that, out comes the 2 wheeler! I'm on handcart #6... better to break those instead of your back, knee, or hip.

I ring the doorbell before I open the rollup door to see if the recipient wants their oversized boxes by the garage... they also offer to help

PS, when is UPS gonna out bid FedEx for the chewy.com account???