Benefits in 705

705er

Wondering how long a new 22.4 has to wait for benefits / insurance to start in local 705. I've heard everything from 90 days up to 1 year after you finish your 40 days progression. Also, does seniority begin on your 1st day of progression or the 1st day after you've completed it?

UPSjedi41

I believe you are covered as soon as you finish your 40 days. I was an off the street hire 7 years ago and that’s what happened to me. You can enroll your family too. Seniority date goes back to the first day worked of you 40.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@705er : AFAIK; L705 full-time (includes 22.4) benefits eligibility:
  1. health/welfare (medical/dental/prescription/vision): should start for you and your dependents after the 40 days worked probationary period. There might be a delay of several weeks until the TeamCare fund starts receiving the weekly payments from the company.
  2. paid holidays: 90 calendar days after your seniority date (also must work your your regularly scheduled workday immediately before OR after the holiday), includes 8 'holidays' and 4 'Optional days' (you must put in a request for an option day at least 1 week in advance, and there is no guarantee it will be granted). If for some reason you take off a week unpaid (if the center is offering unpaid "lay-off' weeks, or for the first week of feeder training), have them pay you 1 option day that week; that will trigger health/welfare/pension payments for that week, otherwise you technically wouldn't have health insurance for that week and will get a statement from the fund requesting a COBRA payment.
  3. vacation: you will get 1 week paid vacation next year, to be selected this November by seniority order of all the 22.4 in your center, and 5 paid 'discretionary days'. If you want to combine the discretionary days into a second week of vacation, you're supposed to bid that week during the November bidding period.
  4. 6 months after your 22.4 seniority date, (A )you are eligible for two 8 hour workday requests per month, and (B) you will be eligible for the long term disability (LTD) insurance, which you must enroll in, and pay part of the premium (deducted weekly, I believe it's about $2/week, I highly recommend it).
  • your 22.4/full-time seniority date should be your first day worked as a 22.4 (the day you start the 40 day probation)
  • make sure your address on file with the company is absolutely correct and watch for the enrollment packets.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Huge thanks Hondo! Is this info readily available?
Most of it is in the contract book (705 contract not available online), albeit somewhat buried. Get one when you finish your 40 days. Also important, in 705 you need 50 weeks of contributions to earn a full year of pension credit, less than 50 weeks, it gets pro-rated. Basically any week you get a paycheck, triggers benefits contributions. That might be on the L705 benefit funds website (Pension) if you register and establish a login/password. It will be in the packet you get after 5 years when you're vested (have earned enough enough pension credits to be eligible for a pension in the future).

The part about the LTD I had to figure out the hard way, and try to pass that along whenever I can. If you forget about it after your 6months, there is an annual enrollment period in November or December.

705er

Hey @hondo , question regarding the 40 day progression in 705... is there a time limit in which the 40 days must occur? I've seen something about a "90 consecutive day period" in the L705 agreement. Are holidays e.g. New Years Day and weekends included in the 90 day count?
Also, am I correct to assume that a driver that is not given 40 working days within the 90 day period is then automatically granted full time status / seniority on day 91?