Bereavement pay after funeral

Box4ufool

I attended my grandmothers funeral yesterday so I asked my supervisor if I could have off Monday and Tuesday. At first he said no then finally he said I could have off but no pay. I talked to a shop Stuart and he said since I didn't take 2 days off after her death which was last Saturday now they don't have to pay for the 2 after. This doesn't sound right to me can someone help me understand if I'm being screwed or what?

Box4ufool

I read the contract but it doesn't specify that I have to to take 2 days before the funeral in order to take off 2 days after thanks for your advice

Box4ufool

Yea it may sound like that but my mother died earlier this year, my brother was in a accident and is now paralyzed and now I just lost my grandmother......

barnyard

KTM rider
Sorry for your loss.

My understanding is that you can use the days to travel or attend a funeral. They cannot be banked to be used at another time. And it is a lost time benefit, so if you attend a funeral while you are on vacation, the company owes you nothing.

The contract also spells out how many days you get for relatives. I thought it was only 1 day for a grandparent.

upschuck

Here, you get 4 days between death and funeral, or if the funeral is a distance away, for travel, you can take the 4th day the day after the funeral..

Box4ufool

I'm just confused because this states that I can take 2 days off following the funeral and be paid for it

ARTICLE 29

Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a sen- iority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a rela- tive listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee‘s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions con- tained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

Indecisi0n

IMG_1137.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I attended my grandmothers funeral yesterday so I asked my supervisor if I could have off Monday and Tuesday. At first he said no then finally he said I could have off but no pay. I talked to a shop Stuart and he said since I didn't take 2 days off after her death which was last Saturday now they don't have to pay for the 2 after. This doesn't sound right to me can someone help me understand if I'm being screwed or what?
Sorry for your loss.
Unfortunately, the way it works is travel to and from funeral if needed and day of funeral.
Anytime after funeral must be for travel.
You have not stated that you are traveling on Monday and Tuesday.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Funeral's over. Back to work.