Best CEO's

bluehdmc

The thread is about the best CEO's in American history. That's what the best do.

Then I have to ask, "Best at what?"

Corporate Growth? Personal Wealth?

Jim Casey started with a bicycle messenger service and turned it into the largest parcel delivery company in the world.

While doing this he strove to treat all his employees well both management and hourly, and came up with a philosophy of "service".

I doesn't seem like he tried to squash competition, just grow his own unique service.

Many of the other CEO's (Carnegie, Rockefeller, the Railroad Leaders, Coal Mines, etc). are often referred to as "Robber Barons".

Why did they get these labels? Perhaps the philanthropy later in life was a form of penance for past misdeeds?

Hawk780

No One in Particular
Then how would you explain Bill Gates and the success that he and Microsoft have had?
No disrespect towards Gates, he's done great things, and is clearly dedicated to philanthropy, but don't for a second think he wasn't cut throat. He stole a lot of his early OS concepts directly from Xerox after finding they did not have patents.

Being a shrewd businessman often times means being highly competitive, which some might characterize as "ruthless"...just my $.02

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
William M. Allen. President of Boeing, who in 1964, after constant requests from Pan Am Airlines President Juan Trippe to build a plane with twice the capacity of the 707; decided along with Joe Sutter, head of development and project/manufacturing manager Malcolm T. Stamper; to bet the entire company on a new plane...given the designation - 747.

Boeing borrowed heavily to build the 747. In April of 1966, Boeing accepted a 25 plane order from Pan Am worth 525 million. Allen knew that nearly 100 planes would have to be sold just for the company to break even. Sutter felt that the 747 would be superseded by supersonic transport planes after 400 copies, so the plane was designed to met the needs of newly introduced containerized cargo systems.

Allen promised to deliver the first 747 to Pan Am by December 1969. That left just 28 months to get the plane off the drawing board and into the air. A new factory had to be constructed from scratch with all the other parts independently developed, tested and coming together for final assembly, where Plant Manager Stamper prayed everything would fit as planned.

Pratt & Whitney created new engines, high bypass turbofans, that delivered enormous power but were very efficient to give the 747 the capability to travel very long distances without refueling. The first 747 was rolled out on September 30, 1968 with the first test flight on Feb 9, 1969. It received FAA certification in Dec 1969 and delivery was made to Pan Am on Jan 15, 1970, just 15 days late. After being christened by First Lady Pat Nixon, the 747 entered service with Pan Am on the New York to London route Janurary 22, 1970.

Allen knew that if the 747 flopped, there was no way Boeing could pay back the loans as he had borrowed much more than the company's entire net worth. Boeing would be finished. He made the decision to build it with 25 orders on hand but soon had firm orders for over 200 planes. He felt selling over 300 planes would be fantastic and reaching 400 would be like winning the powerball lottery.

In December 2009, Boeing delivered the 1418th 747. The plane became a huge hit. Much bigger than anyone every dreamed.

The 747 is currently in service with 71 different airlines and governments across the globe. Over 12 different variants have been made to meet the unique needs of different carriers. A high performance version, the 747SP was manufactured to carry cargo and passengers at high speeds across the world's oceans.

Boeing began delivery of the latest version, the 747-8 this year.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Carnegie may have been a philanthropist after he died, but he was ruthless as a business man. The same can be said for Rockefeller, he would make agreements with competitors and then screw them out of business. That's why they broke up Standard Oil, he had a near monopoly on the oil wells, the distribution, refining etc.
I heard Henry Ford's method of discharging executives was to chop up their desks. I guess they got the hint.

I think the term used at the time was "Robber Barons"

browned out

Ford disliked the administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and did not approve of U.S. involvement in the war. From 1939 to 1943, the War Production Board's dealings with the Ford Motor Company were with other officials in the organization, such as Edsel Ford and Charles Sorensen, much more than with Ford. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Ford initially refused to convert his factories to war work.[40] During this time, Ford did not stop his executives from cooperating with Washington, but he did not get deeply involved. Focusing on his pet projects, he watched as the work progressed.[41] After Edsel Ford's passing, Henry Ford resumed control of the company in 1943.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

Last edited by a moderator:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Richard Teerlink - Harley Davidson (former CEO)

Career Goals
“I carried two things with me throughout my career, advice my father had passed down to me. First, never work for just money. No one has enough money to make themselves happy. Second, work somewhere you look forward to going to work in the morning.”
Respect
“Management can be a strange area if you haven't had the proper training. How do you add value and get people to respect you? Respect them, and they will respect you.”
Management
“Everyone wants to do a great job. It's usually the leaders who get in the way, due to their insecurities or egos. Be aware of controls that are barriers to effectiveness.”
Branding
“Don't prostitute your brand. Licensing is not free money.”
Business Ethics
“The Sarbanes-Oxley Act won't prevent greed from taking over. Use ethical values as a driving force in your company. It's tough to teach ethics; it starts in your upbringing.”
Making a Difference
“Everyone complains about the world. What are you going to do to make it different? If you're not willing to get involved, keep your mouth shut.”
Passion
“The biggest thing going at Harley is our passion. Never be afraid to show passion.”

bluehdmc

Ben and Jerry.....:thumbup1:

Ben and Jerry's used to have a policy that no employees pay could be more than 7 times the starting pay of an entry level employee. Unfortunately they ended that in 1995.
In 2000 they sold the company to Unilever. Ben Cohen became associated with MoveOn org. He had an interesting presentation on nuclear weapons using oreo cookies.

diesel96

+1

If you are in the Burlington, VT, area, you should definitely take the Ben & Jerry factory tour. Yes, they give out samples.

Free samples....:woohoo:You know I'm a feeder driver, we just have to look at food and we get fat...:treadmill:<----thank God for treadmills.....

Ben and Jerry's used to have a policy that no employees pay could be more than 7 times the starting pay of an entry level employee. Unfortunately they ended that in 1995.
In 2000 they sold the company to Unilever. Ben Cohen became associated with MoveOn org. He had an interesting presentation on nuclear weapons using oreo cookies.

That sounds like a stoner story :bloodshot:....lol "oreos"
But I thought this flavor of the month was a little strange ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/01/hubby-hubby-ben-jerrys-sh_n_273872.html

steeltoe

For those that grew up in Georgia, there is no better CEO than Truett Cathy of Chick-fil-A. For those who do not have Chick-fil-A in your state, you will at some point. They are privately held and will always remain that way. People that eat at their stores know that the customer service is by far the best in the industry. Their stores are the cleanest in the industry and all of their people respect the customer and each other.

Mr. Cathy is the most giving man I have ever met in my life. His gift is not just monetary. If I am not mistaken, he has 13 foster homes. The foster parents have one job. Raise children. Neither foster parent has a regular job at any of the homes. Their jobs are to raise children. Mr. Cathy does not just cut a check. All the foster children refer to him as their grandfather and he is involved. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but from what I understand, over 90% of all his foster children over the years have graduated from college paid for by Mr. Cathy. That number might be higher.

I hear stories of this mans philanthropy all the time. Once, while at the barber shop and talking to the barber during my haircut, Mr. Cathy came up in our discussion. My Barber, who is in his 60's told me that he attended a local Military Academy. My barber's father suddenly died the summer of his junior year. His mother had nothing to pay for her son's senior year. My baber told me that Mr. Cathy heard about this young mans financiial problem and cut a check for the young mans senior year, having only to go by what was told by the leaders at the school. heck, that was 50 years ago.

I encourage everyone to do some research about this great man. You will be amazed. Their corporate headquarters has over 800 employee's and they carry a turnover rate of less than 5% over 40 years. Most of that number are women who start to have children and leave the workforce.

upsgrunt

I think it was Scratch who saved the life of Mr. Cathy's son when he was a small child and was rewarded with a coupon for a free sandwich- yes a very generous man.